Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging my model 3 next to an Ipace ev400

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 2 nights ago I got my Model 3 to a chargepoint station in one of the mgm resorts in Vegas to get it charged up for the trip home. As I pulled up an ipace ev400 was charging at the station. Parked next to it and started my charging session. I'm not a fan of exterior look of it. After parking next to it and comparing the looks. It's ok, then I started thinking how Tesla is lucky to have Franz von Holzhausen and his design team. I know the 2 cars are in a different class but I true love the model 3 design and the lines. I love the front end of the Model 3 alot! We got alot of looks driving our car on the strip. I feel like the ipace exterior is still in a concept design stage look of making an ev car too "futuristic" looking. I mean nothing wrong with it and I'm sure some people will like it over a model X. I'm just not into that front end grill and the square backend.

Enough of me talking about the looks of both cars but it was nice to see the 2 right next to each other. What I want to talk about was my charging experience with the ipace. So I don't recall charging my model 3 on a level 2 charger and having the battery cooling system kicking in but only when your using a supercharger would that happen. The reason I'm bring this up is because that's the sound I was hearing from the ipace when it was charging. Granted it was pretty warm still that night in Vegas and we where in a parking garage. It was just interesting to hear the ipace and what it sounded like the battery cooling systen running on a level 2 charging session, yet the model 3 didn't even kick in the battery cooling system at all.

Now this is we're things start to get interesting and it just so happens that 1 of the 2 chargepoint stations was offline when i got there thus the reason why I had to share the charging session with the ipace since it was the only one available. So I leave the car charging and we're both sharing the 6kw per hr. So each of us is getting about 3kw Per the chargepoint app and the tesla app as well. I get back in my room at the hotel and 30 mins later I get this notification on the tesla app that the charging session was interrupted and it's no longer charging the model 3. I'm thinking some idiot decided to be funny and unplug the chargerpoint cable from the adapter and im just pissed and decided to go back and check to see what happened. Well i get there and everything looks fine I'm still plugged into the chargepoint and no one touched it. I find out, the chargepoint station went down and wasn't drawing any power. So I contact the parking manger and charge point to tell them that the both stations we're down. They told me they'll look into it and contact me to give me any update. So there wasn't anything I could do but either move and find another station or wait. So I choice to wait since it was 1am at this point and hope they get it fixed soon. I get back into my room and turn in for the night but woke up around 3am when I checked the Tesla app and saw that the model 3 was charging again and they seems to have gotten both stations running when I check the chargepoint app. So I'm thinking I should move the car to use other station and the get the full 6kw charge to have it ready earlier in the morning since I wouldn't need to share the station with the ipace. What I noticed next was a bit shocking. I was getting the full 6kw charge from the station now and was no longer sharing the power with the ipace even though it was still plugged in that station. I'm thinking when the charging session gets interrupted on the ipace it doesn't resume once the power comes back online with the station . If that's the case that's just terrible if something happens like that overnight and you wake up and find out your ev didn't get any charge at all! That's basically whats happening with whoever is driving that ipace when they wake up in the morning and find out this model 3 next to them has just taken all the stations power away because your car can resume charging duties after the power goes down. I know it's just a non production model but not resuming the charge when the power goes down?
20180723_225400.jpg
20180723_223135.jpg

Are you sure that the I Pace wasn’t fully charged?
And was the I Pace loud long time after you got there or could it be that it just came back from intense driving?

I have also read that Jaguar have problem with the software for battery cooling wish lead to some pretty high consumption while driving but this have been solved with a reason update wish every I Pace for customer will get.

Are you sure that the I Pace wasn’t fully charged?

This could be it, because of the other detail. FYI I've only ever had the Bolt battery conditioning A/C kick in near the very end of L2 charging, and of course very warm conditions like above 30C(high 80's). Continued to run just past the point of reaching the stop point (90%, because full SOC and the 90% "Hilltop" are your options). Kinda freaked me out the first time I noticed it.

P.S. Since then I've adjusted settings to start recharge to "finish by 3:30AM", usually putting the start point after midnight, to avoid requiring this.