Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging outlet advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should be receiving my M3 LR RWD soon.
Please see pictures attached. It is a 50a 250v dedicated outlet on circuit 2/4
Should I buy a wall connector? Or am I okay with an adaptor?
Appreciate your advice.

IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0616.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: zacyee
Thank you!
Does the orientation matter? Should I change it? If so, is it easy or should I hire an electrician?

I'd always hire someone to work on it if you aren't comfortable with doing it. It should be a fairly straight forward job if you're comfortable with it. If you're having an electrician do it, you may as well just have them install a 14-50 and forgo the adapter.

The UMC has a very heavy pod at the end where it plugs into the wall. Since its upside down, gravity is going to be continuously pulling down on the prongs inside the outlet.

Is it complicated just rotating it?
Not complicated. Just turn off the breaker, double check to make sure no power to the socket, remove screws, turn it over (check that the wires are firmly seated in the socket), replace screws.
However, if you're not comfortable/familiar working with electric circuits, best to hire an electrician.

Is it complicated just rotating it?

Turn off the breaker so the outlet is de-energized, unscrew the face plate, then the outlet is secured to the electrical box with screws. Take those out, pull the outlet out of the wall, rotate 180 degrees and re assemble. It is relatively simple to do. The wires running to the outlet will be kinda stiff, so take care to tuck the wires back into the box neatly.

I agree with others that rotating the outlet and ordering a 6-50 adapter is the easiest way to get started charging.

I'd always hire someone to work on it if you aren't comfortable with doing it. It should be a fairly straight forward job if you're comfortable with it. If you're having an electrician do it, you may as well just have them install a 14-50 and forgo the adapter.
Easier said than done-- a 14-50 has 4 wires and a 6-50 only has 3 wires. Anyway, you're not forgoing an adapter, you're using a UMC adapter either way. The UMC just happens to come with the 14-50 adapter and not the 6-50. Buying a 6-50 adapter for the UMC has to be cheaper than rewiring the outlet.

Shut the breaker off and inspect the wiring to the outlet. If there are four wires in the outlet box, but one of them has been capped off, you can likely convert that outlet to a 14-50. If there are only 3 wires, then you stick with the 6-50 outlet and just disconnect, rotate, and reconnect appropriately, and then source the 6-50 adapter from Tesla for $35.

If you don't feel comfortable doing any of it, find an electrician that will do it. Assuming no changes in wiring, it's not that big of a job to rotate, or convert the outlet and shouldn't cost much to have someone do it for you.
I suggest you stick with the mobile connector as you should see 30 mi/hour charging versus 37 if you go with the wall connector.

Upside down is not really that bad. You could just use a dry wall hook to hold up the top part of the cable above the brick on top of the outlet. My electrician wired the outlet upside down a month before I got the Tesla. I was charging upside down for 9 months, until I got solar. The electrician from the solar company had to move the outlet one foot, so he also flipped it right side up for me.

The orientation of the outlet matters only in the sense that you’d prefer not having the weight of the mobile connector pulling on the plug (therefore potentially causing it to pull out partially and something could fall on the exposed prongs). It’s not like it’s code for the ground pin to be on top, though frequent cause for debate.

If your plug and outlet form a very snug pair this matters much less. I have to really work to pull mine out - it’s not going anywhere.

LOL at some people. It really doesn't matter if it is upside down. Mine is and I have no issues. Stop trying to make him spend more money. It's FINE.

Functionally, it doesn't matter. Practically, it might. I find it easier to support the mobile connector when the controller box is below the plug. Additionally, the cord orientation and routing of the charging cable matters to some. Besides, no one is trying to make him spend money. We're giving tips/advice/help that he sought.