Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging pad intermittent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I tried to find threads that exist on this to not avail, so I apologize if this is covered elsewhere.

My wireless phone charging pad doesn’t always work. I can place it on the pad and sometimes it takes a few mins to actually start charging (which is ok) but as I’m driving it will charge, then not, charge, then not.

Is this “normal” behavior you guys are seeing too? It annoys me because I have my phone set to vibrate (iPhone 11 Pro Max) so it’s randomly buzzing as I drive as it loses then regains charging.

TIA.

I don't know if this is normal either, but I can confirm that I see similar behavior with the charging pad in my car with the iPhone 11 Pro with the stock Apple phone case.

I had just assumed it was probably the phone shifting around and getting pulled out of that wireless charging sweet spot. I'll be watching the thread to see if anyone else is experiencing this, or if this is actually abnormal - thanks for posting.

I tried it during delivery and had trouble. The delivery guy said it probably was the otterbox case. When he put it un-cased iPhone on it worked fine. Since then mine has worked well enough, but it doesn't always work. Maybe I'll take it out of the case for awhile to see if it truly works OK with my Pixel3

Hey guys, I tried to find threads that exist on this to not avail, so I apologize if this is covered elsewhere.

My wireless phone charging pad doesn’t always work. I can place it on the pad and sometimes it takes a few mins to actually start charging (which is ok) but as I’m driving it will charge, then not, charge, then not.

Is this “normal” behavior you guys are seeing too? It annoys me because I have my phone set to vibrate (iPhone 11 Pro Max) so it’s randomly buzzing as I drive as it loses then regains charging.

TIA.

Mine works fine without the case on. Do you have a case on while charging?

Took a trip to costco this morning. Phone initially was not charging both ways. I took the case off and it immediately started. I was around 70% initially. When I got to Costco it was 80 something and 100 went I got home. Costco is is around 12 miles so I'm thinking once the case was off it was charging all the time without any issue.

Case off charging sucks because I find the phone super slippery :(

I’ll try it anyway.

Mine charges often enough with the case on that I'm likely not to do anything, but if I do, I'll try buying a thinner case rather than go without.

You might try different positions as well. I find I'm more likely to get it charging on the left side right up against that center ridge. Yours might be different but maybe you can find a particular sweet spot.

My wireless pad had an issue with intermittent charging even when the phone was without the case. I made a service request ticket and dropped of my model Y to tesla but they didn't fix the issue. Told me everything works fine and that was it, I still have the problem of intermittent charging here and there.