Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless charging of smartphone is slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question. I am abt 30 days into my 2023 M3 RWD. I have placed my iphone 12 pro on the charging pad and it barely charges at all - even when the phone is out of the case. Like 1% in 30 mins. Does this seem right? All my other cars w wireless charging were all pretty slow as well. Does it ever work any better than that? Thx.

Some phones work better than others. I recently compared my Android (Google Pixel 7) with a friend's Android (don't remember the model but different than mine). He would charge very slow and mine was good on the same charger, comparing the power that the battery receives using the "Ampere" app. Positioning of coils is important so sometimes your phone might not be a great fit. In his case it is probably a software difference. Removing the case might help too, but not always. It's possible that an OS update on your phone helps eventually, if that's the culprit.

The camera protrusions on the iPhone Pro and Pro Max models cause a gap between the charging pad and the phone causing more heat to be generated than charge to the phone's battery. The phone can also slide side-to-side, moving it from the optimal charging position.

Sometimes it doesn’t charge at all, sometimes it charges very well. It does heat up the phone a lot though. It’s not very consistent so I wouldn’t rely on it. If you really need a charge, I would just plug it in. Otherwise just treat it like a phone shelf and if it gains any charge it’s just an extra bonus.
Yeh thanks. That's pretty much where I am with it.

I think the rate of recharging will depend a good deal on whether you have something active on the phone that uses much power. Actively navigating with something like Apple Maps or Google maps if you use that to second-guess the onboard Tesla nav puts my iPhone in a condition of not really gaining charge at all. It is slow, but much better than that, if no such power hog is active.

Reactions: GtiMart
iPhone can take only 7.5W via Qi, so it takes around 100 minutes to charge your phone.
Tesla M3 can provide up to 15W according to the manual (I have M3 2022):

Wireless Phone Charger​

A wireless phone charger (if equipped), is integrated into the front console to provide up to 15W of power to charge a Qi-enabled phone. Simply place your phone on the charger. Your device may feel warm while charging, but this is a normal effect of inductive charging.