Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port door closes very quickly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just about to make a new thread. I'm glad I found this one. Same thing happens to me, but it seems to be random. Sometimes at SCs, sometimes home charging... the port closes .25-.5 second after detaching. I barely cleared it this morning.

Oh, pressing the door handle to wake the car (Model 3) is definitely a thing. If your phone's presence doesn't wake the car, you can press the J1772 button as long as you like and NOTHING will happen. Pushing the door handle in will wake it immediately (as long as you push it in far enough...obviously opening the door is far enough :) )
I dunno, I just tried it in case maybe I was crazy. Obviously when the car is locked no amount of pushing/jiggling can get the charge port door open, but I tested it to be sure. It does wake up when the door handle is pulled (audible contactors) but it doesn't do anything more.
When unlocked and awake, the charge port opens with a tap of course.
But when unlocked and asleep, no amount of banging on the charge port will open it and no amount of pulling the rear door handle will wake the car until the door actually opens.

And yes, the J1772 button wakes the car. I do this almost daily. Obviously it doesn't wake the car for charging like the Tesla charger button, but it absolutely wakes it for disconnecting, whether it's actively charging or not.

I suspect your ritual of jiggling the door handle and pressing the J1772 button could be simplified by simply pressing the J1772 and waiting a second.

I am new to Tesla, I just got the model 3 long range not too long ago, I have a question about the charging port door. Do you guys find the port door closes too quickly after you unplug the charger? I am using the 32A 240V Mobile Charger on 14-50, here are 3 cases I tested:

Case A: After the charging is completed and my car is LOCKED.
(A1): I used the app to Open the charging port door and then
(A2): Unlocked the charging port
Result: When I pulled the charger out, the charging door closed SO QUICKLY, like within 0.5 seconds. If I do it slowly, it actually hit the charger.

Case B: After the charging is completed and my car is LOCKED.
(B1): I used the app to UNLOCK the CAR DOORS, and
(B2): Opened the charging port door, then
(B3): Unlocked the charging port
Result: This time, when I pulled the charger out, the charging port door stayed open for 10 seconds, and then automatically closed by itself.

Case C: After the charging is completed and my car is LOCKED.
(C1): I walked to the driver door with my phone and unlock the door physically, door remain open.
(C2): I used the app to Open the charging port door, then
(C3): Unlocked the charging port
Result: When I pulled the charger out, the charging door closed SO QUICKLY again similar to case #A which is annoying.

Do you guys experience the same? Wondering why can't the charging port door always has a delay like Case B? I can't seem to find a setting on this. I have updated to the latest firmware 2021.44.25.2 and the behavior is the same for older firmware I had before. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

R.B.
What I do is unlock the charging port with the app then pull the connector+adapter out once the Tesla symbol is WHITE. I do not click the connector button or else it deactivates the power physically from the EVSE and also disengages the adapter...leaving the adapter in the vehicle port.

Well! I know that it used to be that way, but they must have fixed it at some point. I purposely set up the situation yesterday morning and pressed the button and held it. Just as I was about to give up and say, "Yup, it's still broken" the car wakes and releases the adapter. I didn't time it, but it might have been as long as 10 seconds. That's too long, but now that I know it will release, I can wait it out.

Will wonders never cease.

Reactions: RNHurt
Interesting that yours takes 10 seconds to wake, mine usually takes ~1 second to wake from a public J1772 saved as a non-sentry favorite. Sometimes it takes a little longer but never more than a few seconds. My car struggles to detect my iPhone13 near the rear bumper - could that be the cause of your 10 second delay?

They all do that. Would be nice, if it was slower, but it’s not a big problem. If you know it’s quick, just be faster. :)
So we’ve been charging via J-1772 lately because the garage is full of a painting project for Christmas. Obviously when using a J-1772 charger there is no button to push.

Option # 1: get the charge cable first then approach the car. In this time (5-10 seconds), the car has gone to sleep too deeply and the charge port won’t open without opening the rear door first. Annoying. I sometimes have this problem with the Tesla charger. The car (2018 M3) ignores the signal from the cable to open because it is already too deeply asleep.

Option # 2: exit car, open port by pressing, race over to the cable and rush back and try to get the cable in before the door closes. I usually manage this in 1+-2 seconds of when the charger door closes. Well, today the door closed as I was inserting the cable and it managed to catch the top of the cable handle as it was insterting and snapped. Those doors are fragile! I can’t recommend this method. I hear the repair is $350.

At the end of the day, the problem is the car goes to sleep ridiculously early. It should wait a full 30 seconds, not the 5 seconds or whatever it is. It also should not go to sleep so quickly if you are standing right there. I am not going more than 10-15’ away.

Are you sure it's a sleep issue and not a lock issue? My '21 always wakes with a tap of the charge port, though it does take about second to wake from a deep sleep. It also always wakes within a second when pressing a J1772 or Tesla handle.

But, my car locks like crazy and I often have to open the back door to unlock it so that I can charge. I sure wish tapping the charge port would unlock it! Even more so, I wish that opening the charge port would buy me just a few more seconds before it locks. I have also hit the charge door many times in my frantic panic to try to get the charger plugged in within the few seconds of allotted time.

For some reason if I get out and walk away from the car in any direction, it takes 20-30 seconds to lock and I'm often so far away that I can't even hear the horn honk. But if I jump out and dive for the charger handle that's literally 10 inches(!) away from the bumper it will often lock within maybe 2 seconds after closing the driver's door -- so fast that even diving out of the car beach-volleyball-style doesn't give me enough time to reach the charger before it locks. I don't understand how it knows I want to charge or why it fights me like that.

Reactions: DblOSmith