Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 MS 100D. Charging port would not open from the app, from the car touchscreen, from the charging cable from pushing on it. I did a reset on the car, and it still did not open. I do hear the motor trying to open every time I tried to open. For some reason I remembered you can also open the port with the key fob. And that opened the port finally. What was up??? After I opened it finally. All the options started working again fine. Should I take to service? Is it going to fail again?

I have a 2017 MS 100D. Charging port would not open from the app, from the car touchscreen, from the charging cable from pushing on it. I did a reset on the car, and it still did not open. I do hear the motor trying to open every time I tried to open. For some reason I remembered you can also open the port with the key fob. And that opened the port finally. What was up??? After I opened it finally. All the options started working again fine. Should I take to service? Is it going to fail again?

There is also a manual option to open from your rear trunk wall.

If you still have the new car warranty, go and fix it for free. If not, I would be concerned if the manual release doesn't work.

There is also a manual option to open from your rear trunk wall.

If you still have the new car warranty, go and fix it for free. If not, I would be concerned if the manual release doesn't work.
the manual release is only for the lock mechinism that holds the charge cable in the port. not a manual release to open the door.

for the OP if you have a normal key or a screwdriver or even a quarter you can just pop it open from the outside if it doesn't want to open. It could be the port sensor but more likely its the door motor either way both are only around $100 ea but you have to pay for labor as these are both on the restricted parts list and they wont just sell them over the counter.

Reactions: weezas12345