Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging port, need tiny part...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My charge port door on my 2013 Model S has been getting stuck recently. It got really stuck yesterday. I pried it open and noticed what I thought was a piece of rubber that seemed to have either ripped off or gotten stuck where it shouldn't be. Tesla tells me it's the magnet - which I suppose must have come unglued or otherwise unstuck from where it's supposed to sit in the door.

The car is out of warranty, and the only "official" repair involves replacing the entire door (and just the hassle of bringing it down to service, which isn't close to me, leaving it, then getting it back X days later.) So I'm wondering if there's a cheaper and easier fix. Seems like SUCH a simple little thing. Just need to replace the little circular magnet in the door.

Anyone know where I can get the little magnet in question, and how best to attach it?

Here are a couple photos to explain what I'm talking about:

tempImageLbU0u4.jpg
tempImageZ95XtH.jpg

It's just a magnet glued to plastic, right? The magnet seems to be fine - the glue has failed. Scrape the clue off with a plastic tool and put some new adhesive on it that sticks metal to plastic. Job done.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I think you’re right, yes. Although I think there may also be a bit of degraded rubber between the magnet and the door where it was glued…? But I don’t see why I can’t just glue the magnet directly to the door.

I think you’re right, yes. Although I think there may also be a bit of degraded rubber between the magnet and the door where it was glued…? But I don’t see why I can’t just glue the magnet directly to the door.

Yes - scrape off all the existing adhesive. I recommend using a plastic tool if possible on the magnet because scraping a magnet with another piece of metal might alter its magnetic state. On the plastic door you could probably even use a Dremel or other such tool - just be careful to not remove much plastic or the magnet might not sit at the correct depth.