Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem I reported was an area-wide problem in the power grid, affecting multiple Tesla owners - none of us able to charge for more than a few minutes before charging was interrupted - and it didn't matter what amp level we were using for charging. The incoming power wasn't clean enough to allow charging to run for very long.

No settings in the car could improve the situation. What it took was Tesla's charging team talking with the local power grid company - which helped them identify multiple failure points (after a power incident) that required fixing multiple problems - across the area.

If anyone is seeing "charging interrupted" errors frequently, I recommend they contact the nearest service center and report the problem. And if the service center starts seeing reports from multiple Tesla customers - it's time to escalate the problem and look at the power - not at the cars...

• Helpful
Reactions: LoL Rick
I am having a charging issue but I think it is slightly different than the one that started this thread.

Took my 2013 P85+ in for service on Wednesday to have the 4 year service done on it. Due to my current mileage they actually ended up doing the 8 year and I had to ask them to go back and do the battery coolant flush and additional items on the 4 year service but that's a different story. Additionally, I had been on software 7.1 since the 8.1 push never made it to me somehow.

While my car was at the service center they left it plugged into an HPWC over the weekend since they finished up on it on late Friday. On Sunday night I attempted to "top off" using the phone app and it wouldn't let me, which was odd. When service initially plugged it in it charged fine on the HPWC from what I could see. The 90D loaner I had for the days mine was in service charged fine on my wall outlet at 30A just like my car prior to service. Therefore, I don't think it's the software or the electrical in my house. Last night while checking to see if the car would charge I got the following error messages: "Unable to charge check power source" and to "Unplug, close charge port door, press brake pedal and try again." The message repeated after several tries and a call to national service showed the same errors on his end. He suggested unplugging everything and try again, no luck. He also suggested switching to the 110 adapter and try again, no luck. At which point he said he couldn't think of anything else.

I saw in a different thread about trying a computer reset and charger cable reset which I'll try next. It seemed to supercharge yesterday just fine. I'll try an HPWC in town as well before I drive down to the Rocklin supercharger later today.

I have my thoughts but was curious if you all had other ideas. Thoughts?

Update

It was the onboard main charger that failed. Thankfully the extended warranty covered it. That's $2100 I didn't want to spend. I wonder if there is a list somewhere of parts cost with an average failure time? That would be very useful when trying to decide on getting the extended warranty or not.

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
Same symptoms have been happening to my car since a software update a few weeks ago. It charges fine when I initially plug it in, but if it wakes itself up and tries to pull a charge it fails, I get a red ring and the same error on the screen. However, when I turn off Cabin Overheat Protection it has no trouble charging. I've noticed the actual AC come on when cabin overheat is activated (I live in Arizona). When plugged-in, the AC pulls current from the wall plug. I hypothesize that Tesla changed the way it does this somehow in a recent software update, and it's the AC trying to pull current during Cabin Overheat that is causing the error.

I've reported this to my service center. They blamed my power supply, saying the logs showed a voltage spike in excess of 400v whenever this occurs. They said nothing in the car can cause a spike over 400v and that it's an external, source issue. My power company checked my power, they said it all checks out perfectly fine. Tesla is now saying that it's my HPWC that needs to be replaced because that can sometimes cause the same symptoms. I am suspicious about this, my gut tells me it's something to do with the car.

Service checked out my car and said all charging components check out, they even ran a coolant test on my chargers to make sure they weren't overheating. Everything is nominal. They gave me a loaner which experienced the same issue at my house, although I do not remember if Cabin Overheat Protection was turned on for that vehicle. So it's either something common to all vehicles or it really is my HPWC.

This problem only started when the weather got hot, which also points to Cabin Overheat Protection being involved. Service center said they stand by their recommendation to change the HPWC, but service manager said he would share my suspicions with his "leads" and get back to me. I haven't heard anything in over a week.

This problem only started when the weather got hot, which also points to Cabin Overheat Protection being involved. Service center said they stand by their recommendation to change the HPWC, but service manager said he would share my suspicions with his "leads" and get back to me. I haven't heard anything in over a week.

Did you try plugging into a different outlet with your spare cable that came with the car? Or try a destination charger nearby that has an HPWC? I tried a local HPWC and had the same symptoms so it was definitely something in the car, especially since I could Supercharge just fine.

Did you try plugging into a different outlet with your spare cable that came with the car? Or try a destination charger nearby that has an HPWC? I tried a local HPWC and had the same symptoms so it was definitely something in the car, especially since I could Supercharge just fine.
They tried the HPWC at service and even kept the car overnight to duplicate the symptoms. It charged fine while in their possession. All I know is that when I disable cabin overheat protection, I have no charge faults at my house - none. But when I turn that feature on, my charge port faults to red overnight and won't charge the car.

They tried the HPWC at service and even kept the car overnight to duplicate the symptoms. It charged fine while in their possession. All I know is that when I disable cabin overheat protection, I have no charge faults at my house - none. But when I turn that feature on, my charge port faults to red overnight and won't charge the car.

Hmm...that is odd. When it was with Tesla was it in an air conditioned area? Did they turn the cabin overheat off? How hot is it in your garage when this is happening?

It probably could be fixed with a software update to limit the amount of energy drawn for cabin overheat when plugged in and charging. I also doubt you are the only person in Arizona with this issue. But what do I know, I'm just a speculating pilot who know's very little about software or cars ;)

Hmm...that is odd. When it was with Tesla was it in an air conditioned area? Did they turn the cabin overheat off? How hot is it in your garage when this is happening?

It probably could be fixed with a software update to limit the amount of energy drawn for cabin overheat when plugged in and charging. I also doubt you are the only person in Arizona with this issue. But what do I know, I'm just a speculating pilot who know's very little about software or cars ;)
I posted my issues to our local Tesla FB group. Two members immediately responded saying they have the same issue. My garage is hot and gets over 105º, so cabin overheat comes on in my garage all the time. At Tesla's facility, they had it plugged into a HPWC all night long so it was likely inside their shop or staging area for new vehicles, both of which are air conditioned.

I'm going to call the service manager back on this, as I am able to consistently reproduce this issue by turning on cabin overheat, letting the car fall asleep, and at some point over the next several hours the charge ring will fault to red. Doesn't happen at all with cabin overheat turned off.

Service insists that due to the voltage spike, no internal components are involved. I cannot believe that explanation, especially when my power company tells me that it's impossible for a device like the HPWC to cause a 400v+ spike when all it does is pass long the power that is fed to it - power that my utility has already determined is clean and meets all specifications.

And why would the voltage spike only when I have cabin overheat protection turned on?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
When we had our power problems, the power company sent out a technician who declared our power was OK. The equipment on their truck appeared to only measure the average power level coming into the house - which was within the normal range.

What they weren't able to measure with the equipment was "dirty power" - with spikes or some other interference - and that was the cause of our charging problems. The charging would periodically be interrupted - and it didn't seem to matter what Amp setting we were using for the charger or what type of circuit (standard, 14-30, 14-50 or HPWC), no matter the connection, charging would get interrupted when there was a spike on the line.

When I first talked to Tesla about this, they claimed the onboard charging hardware should handle this problem (it wasn't affecting any of our other electrical devices or appliances). But they were wrong - the secondary on board charger (this was an S P85 with "dual chargers") was damaged by the dirty power, and had to be replaced by Tesla.

AmpedRealtor's problem sounds like it's internal - since charging appears to be OK with COH disabled. When the COH is triggered, it could be spiking the power usage inside the car, and the charging hardware is misinterpreting this as a spike in the external power and shutting down charging to protect the onboard charger.

If multiple owners are seeing this problem, they should report it to the service center - and get it fixed. Though it's possible Tesla could also solve this with a firmware upgrade, by changing how COH is implemented - and do what the charging software does - slowly ramp up the A/C, instead of trying to cool the car down quickly.

When we had our power problems, the power company sent out a technician who declared our power was OK. The equipment on their truck appeared to only measure the average power level coming into the house - which was within the normal range.

What they weren't able to measure with the equipment was "dirty power" - with spikes or some other interference - and that was the cause of our charging problems. The charging would periodically be interrupted - and it didn't seem to matter what Amp setting we were using for the charger or what type of circuit (standard, 14-30, 14-50 or HPWC), no matter the connection, charging would get interrupted when there was a spike on the line.

When I first talked to Tesla about this, they claimed the onboard charging hardware should handle this problem (it wasn't affecting any of our other electrical devices or appliances). But they were wrong - the secondary on board charger (this was an S P85 with "dual chargers") was damaged by the dirty power, and had to be replaced by Tesla.

AmpedRealtor's problem sounds like it's internal - since charging appears to be OK with COH disabled. When the COH is triggered, it could be spiking the power usage inside the car, and the charging hardware is misinterpreting this as a spike in the external power and shutting down charging to protect the onboard charger.

If multiple owners are seeing this problem, they should report it to the service center - and get it fixed. Though it's possible Tesla could also solve this with a firmware upgrade, by changing how COH is implemented - and do what the charging software does - slowly ramp up the A/C, instead of trying to cool the car down quickly.
My service manager has opened a ticket with engineering and said he would keep me updated on the progress. I can reproduce the charge failure like clockwork by turning on COH. I told the service manager that this would be very easy to confirm. They already pulled the logs for the days and times when charging failed, all they have to do is confirm that the car tried to activate COH just prior to the failure. I'm hoping this leads to a solution. I'm convinced it's either a software issue or COH is exposing a previously hidden hardware issue that doesn't affect the vehicle otherwise.

If they (service) pulled your logs they can see exactly why you are getting the red ring. If they say that you got spiked in the logs, then you need to discuss with your power company. Some here have gotten a recorder put on their line. APC powerchute software will provide a detailed log of your voltage. I cant explain the overheat protection setting, however, That's strange.

If they (service) pulled your logs they can see exactly why you are getting the red ring. If they say that you got spiked in the logs, then you need to discuss with your power company. Some here have gotten a recorder put on their line. APC powerchute software will provide a detailed log of your voltage. I cant explain the overheat protection setting, however, That's strange.
Except there is only a "spike" when cabin overheat protection is active, but at no other time. I've had cabin overheat off for a week now, no issues. The moment I turn it on and leave the car overnight, I get the red ring of death. Can't be my power supply.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Starting late last week, I had a few charging failure with my "classic" P85 connected to the HPWC in our garage.

Charging would stop with a "red ring" and an error message on the dashboard. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable got the car charged the first time.

On the second day when this happened, it appears one of chargers inside the car failed, because the HPWC would stop at 40A (instead of the full 80A that was configured). Charging would begin and then stop a few minutes later with a red ring & error message.

I tried the UMC to a 14-50 outlet on the other side of the garage - and it saw the same problem - charging would go for a few minutes and then stop.

I tried reducing the current setting - and while that stretched out the time before the charging stopped, charging still didn't go for more than 10 or 15 miles of range before stopping.

Because I was seeing the same problem on UMC and HPWC, it appeared the problem was in the car, especially because one of the chargers didn't appear to be working.

I dropped the car off at the service center this afternoon and brought home a loaner.

To my surprise, the loaner is also having problems charging. Though a slightly different problem.

I went out to the garage after the car had been on the charger for several hours. Charging had stopped early and there was a blue ring at the charging port, but no error on the dashboard. I unplugged and replugged the charging cable, and charging resumed - but only for a few minutes.

Instead of stopping with the red ring error, every few minutes charging would stop for a few seconds, the current drops to zero, and then resumes charging again, ramping up to 40A (only a single charger in the car). Dropping the current to 30A results in the same problem. But unlike with my car, when the charging stops, it automatically resumes - at least during the time I was with the car in the garage tonight.

Unfortunately the previous person who had the loaner didn't return the UMC, so I don't have a UMC to test with (and verify the problem with the loaner is only with the HPWC).

I reported the problem to Tesla phone support, but they aren't seeing any errors, evidently they are only able to see an error if it is being displayed while you're on the phone. If the error is displayed and immediately cleared (which is what is happening with the loaner), they may not be able to see it - and it may take a local service center to dump the detailed logs to see what's happening.

It appears my car had one of the two chargers fail. It's possible the failure was caused by the HPWC or when the charger failed, that damaged the HPWC. So getting everything working again may require replacing both the charging hardware in my P85 plus repairing/replacing the HPWC.

Has anyone else seen anything like this???

I just got a 100D Model X and have had my Model S P85+ since Oct 2013 - have never had any charging issues with my S and my wall charger. However I cannot charge the X with my wall charger - get the "cable fault" message after plugging in. The SC thought it was the design of the charge port and shaved a few millimeters off the edges and the plug fits better and everything worked fine at the SC but tried again last night and get the same issues with the X. The S charges fine. Very strange....

I just got a 100D Model X and have had my Model S P85+ since Oct 2013 - have never had any charging issues with my S and my wall charger. However I cannot charge the X with my wall charger - get the "cable fault" message after plugging in. The SC thought it was the design of the charge port and shaved a few millimeters off the edges and the plug fits better and everything worked fine at the SC but tried again last night and get the same issues with the X. The S charges fine. Very strange....
I got the sorta opposite issue. I'm having the same issue with 2 different Model S loaners now (one brand new and one late P85) + one new Model S P100D had the same issue. After a few tries my WC goes red and requires a reset. While my X was in last week they said they noticed the pin is missing. I wonder if something is stuck in the WC handle? Will check when I go home. Has anyone had a pin stuck in there and that could explain this?

I got the sorta opposite issue. I'm having the same issue with 2 different Model S loaners now (one brand new and one late P85) + one new Model S P100D had the same issue. After a few tries my WC goes red and requires a reset. While my X was in last week they said they noticed the pin is missing. I wonder if something is stuck in the WC handle? Will check when I go home. Has anyone had a pin stuck in there and that could explain this?
Well this sucks. My chargeport was replaced and now I can't even charge using the Wall Charger. New one on order.