Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi guys,

Strange questions I’m sure but I’ve jut been out to measure if a 7.5meter TWC will work for me and was like “s@&$” think it’s gonna be tight, so...

1. How high off the ground is the charger port on MX

2. How long is the type2 cable you get with the charger

3. Any safety concerns I should consider if I mount my charger on external wall to reduce the distance slightly.

Stephen

Thanks but it’s the height of the charge port on the MX from the ground I need

Thanks
I hate to say it, but if your measurements are that tight, you are probably too short.

All of the cables need at least a foot or so for each bend and the cables should be able to drop straight to the floor with no side tension. Also, the cable should be able to be moved out of any walkway, or at least to the side, to keep any tripping from happening.

Reactions: zap fizzle
So... my parking space “red block” isn’t right outside my house where charger will be “Red Cross”

My intention is to charge using the longer TWC and the bit behind my neighbors car “blue cross” I’ll use a cable ramp/tunnel.

I’m only going to charge overnight and I leave for work at 5:30 so the risk of them actually driving over it is slim, super slim but the ramp with protect the cable and be safe from tripping etc.

We’re unable to swap spaces because we all have a garage in front of space “no power to them” and parking behind my house where the charger will be isn’t really an option as that then blocks my neighbors space.

I am however as a backup going to ask said neighbour if she has any issues with my parking next to my house of a night providing my parking space is empty which gives her space to get in and out.

But working on that not being an option I’m trying o find a charging solution for where my car is parked.

Spoke to Tesla today they said if I buy the charger and cable is too small I can get a refund so my plan is to get a charger and dry fit it so that I can return if needed.

Attachments

• 08398819-E8F1-4119-B6B4-65F0A86AAD12.jpeg
    08398819-E8F1-4119-B6B4-65F0A86AAD12.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 79
So... my parking space “red block” isn’t right outside my house where charger will be “Red Cross”

My intention is to charge using the longer TWC and the bit behind my neighbors car “blue cross” I’ll use a cable ramp/tunnel.

Spoke to Tesla today they said if I buy the charger and cable is too small I can get a refund so my plan is to get a charger and dry fit it so that I can return if needed.

I’m not sure that a dry fit is feasible because the cable isn’t terminated when the charger is delivered. More than that, are you really going to run the cable under the protection tunnel every time? I’d consider a post close to the car with the charger on it or similar. Also be sure you have enough side clearance between the cars when the cable is plugged in.
Do you have an installer in mind for the charger? They may have good ideas.

Reactions: .jg. and Fellsteruk

Ah ... I remember it now, thanks for the diagram.

Yes, not ideal, as I now remember.

No chance of putting up a "Post" near your parking space to mount the plug on (as @AudioBob has said)? Even a post with a 4-way-stabilising-foot that is not actually anchored to the ground?

Catenary(sp?) overhead wire?

wang-garage-620b.jpg

Get your employer to give you free charging at work? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Fellsteruk
No chance of overhead solution as the area where car parking is “even though I own the garage/space” is co trolled by lease holder and essentially I’m not allowed to alter it in any way I’m not even allowed to run a cable under the tarmac, they said outright NO.

My only solution is “long cable” it’s been hard enough getting 50meters it SWA cable from my consumer unit to the end of the back garden but that bit is done now.

My employer has said they are fitting 15 charger points this year but I don’t know when and I don’t know what the setup will be, the fact they are doing 15 makes me think a company are putting them in which means power may be chargeable, in itself I don’t have an issue with payin for power but I’m hoping it’s gonna be free so my home charger solution isn’t my main charger “work is”

The plan, is to run the cable in a little cable ramp whilst I’m using it.

Got the TWC today and the cable is connected to the main unit so I’ll have a play this weekend and see how I get on another option which gives me a little extra is to mount the charger on the outside of my fence rather than inside then just have an isolation switch on the inside to stop anyone using it. But that’s not a massive worry.

Any obvious issues or concerns with me installing a charger on the outside of my fence? Had quotes from a couple installers and waiting for a quote from a 3rd so far not much in the way of creative ideas :(

With 4 weeks ish to delivery I gotta get this sorted.

Any obvious issues or concerns with me installing a charger on the outside of my fence?

I don't see any issue with that, in fact that's what I had assumed you were going to do. You don't even specially need an isolator given you can always turn it off at the consumer unit if one of your neighbours really starts taking the piss - it's not as if a passing stranger can steal much from you (less than £1/hr), so you'd probably be more concerned about them stealing your parking space than stealing the electricity.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Thanks that helps :) if only making me feel better :)

Thankfully my parking space is surrounded by houses and hidden you’d never see it passing and only know about it if you knew about it, so to speak :)

I guess if someone near by gets a Tesla I’ll start watching out :)

No chance of overhead solution as the area where car parking is “even though I own the garage/space” is co trolled by lease holder and essentially I’m not allowed to alter it in any way I’m not even allowed to run a cable under the tarmac, they said outright NO.

My only solution is “long cable” it’s been hard enough getting 50meters it SWA cable from my consumer unit to the end of the back garden but that bit is done now.

My employer has said they are fitting 15 charger points this year but I don’t know when and I don’t know what the setup will be, the fact they are doing 15 makes me think a company are putting them in which means power may be chargeable, in itself I don’t have an issue with payin for power but I’m hoping it’s gonna be free so my home charger solution isn’t my main charger “work is”

The plan, is to run the cable in a little cable ramp whilst I’m using it.

Got the TWC today and the cable is connected to the main unit so I’ll have a play this weekend and see how I get on another option which gives me a little extra is to mount the charger on the outside of my fence rather than inside then just have an isolation switch on the inside to stop anyone using it. But that’s not a massive worry.

Any obvious issues or concerns with me installing a charger on the outside of my fence? Had quotes from a couple installers and waiting for a quote from a 3rd so far not much in the way of creative ideas :(

With 4 weeks ish to delivery I gotta get this sorted.

One concern would be people interfering with the cables and charger, or worse still, stealing the charger. At some point, thieves are going to figure out how much these chargers and cables cost.

If you are going to pack all this kit up whenever you aren't using it, you could put your charger in a locking waterproof box (close to the car) and run a 32A extension cable to the box from a 32A commando socket, installed inside your fence.

Reactions: SSonnentag
One concern would be people interfering with the cables and charger, or worse still, stealing the charger. At some point, thieves are going to figure out how much these chargers and cables cost.

If you are going to pack all this kit up whenever you aren't using it, you could put your charger in a locking waterproof box (close to the car) and run a 32A extension cable to the box from a 32A commando socket, installed inside your fence.

This was more or less my first thought. This is the best solution if its doable in your situation.

Note that he's using a hard-wired Tesla WC, not a loose UMC, so the chance for an opportunist theft of unpluggable equipment is low.

Yes, in principle a well informed thief could come along with appropriate tools and disconnect the type2 cable and attempt to sell it on eBay, though it's a relatively identifiable item. Vandalism is always a possibility no matter what you do.

I don't like the idea of a commando socket, extension, and UMC lying on the ground under the car. This has many more risks than what the OP is proposing, especially if he can come to an agreement with the neighbour to swap parking spaces and limit the need to use the cable cover.

Thanks for feedback.

Theft is a concern but it’s a very low risk for me with regards to the TWC, and honestly if someone wants to try and disconnect/cut the charger with 32amp good luck to them.

Obviously someone could be spiteful and cut the charger cable when not in use But honestly I’m more worried about my car getting damaged by dodgy people than the charger getting damaged.

I really like the idea of putting my charger on some kind of a post I can move and using an extension cord from a socket on the fence as this would allow me to pop the charger in the garage when not in use however it would mean the charger was more likely or easier to be stolen as someone could just unplug and walk away, I guess I could have some kind of floor plate and drive over it to secure.

I’ve got a sparkie coming out tomorrow to give me a quote and some alternatives.

I think regardless of the solution I’m going to have a more faffing that most people due to my situation so I accept that but hopefully I can find the least faff solution :)

Last resort I dump the whole idea and only use super charger which is at end of street, battery is under warrentee after all :)

I think regardless of the solution I’m going to have a more faffing that most people due to my situation

Yes, going to be plenty of those during global EV rollout

Daughter is buying a New Build. I said "Check with the builder that the EV Charging socket will be somewhere convenient"

"You what?" :(

Last resort I dump the whole idea and only use super charger which is at end of street, battery is under warrentee after all

problem with that approach is that Supercharger charging rate will slow down (to preserve battery chemistry) after some [significant] number of charges.

Reactions: .jg.