Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ik there’re a lot of threads discussed about charging but majority of the threads I’ve seen, the OP drives less than 30 miles a day round trip. Which I do the opposite of. I drive around 90-100 miles a day

I have a LR Dual-Motor M3 and was wondering if I charge it to 90% everyday, will I hurt the battery?

The reason why I charge it to 90% is because I drive around 100 miles each day. I also try to plug it in every night when I get home (around 150-160 miles of range left). Is that okay?

Would it be recommended to charge at 80%? The reason why I don’t do 80% is because sometimes I may have some other earrings to run and things to do. So the extra range I use, “just in case.”

I don’t ever supercharge either unless I’m going on vacation (every 4 months or so.)

Is it okay if I charge every night when the battery still has more life left with 150 miles? Or should I charge it every OTHER day when the battery is around 20%.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

...charge it to 90% everyday, will I hurt the battery?

No.

Tesla prefers owners to set the charge at 90%

...I also try to plug it in every night when I get home (around 150-160 miles of range left). Is that okay?

Yes.

Plugin as much as possible is preferable.

...Would it be recommended to charge at 80%?

You can but Tesla prefers you to set it at 90%.

Setting it at 90% will minimize calculation drifts over time (minimize battery gauge inaccuracy).

....Is it okay if I charge every night when the battery still has more life left with 150 miles?...

Yes. It is preferable.

Avoid low state of charge. Worse if you leave it longer than necessary.

...Or should I charge it every OTHER day when the battery is around 20%.

No. Prolonged lower state of charge is not good. Charge it up as soon as you are capable of.

Ik there’re a lot of threads discussed about charging but majority of the threads I’ve seen, the OP drives less than 30 miles a day round trip. Which I do the opposite of. I drive around 90-100 miles a day

I have a LR Dual-Motor M3 and was wondering if I charge it to 90% everyday, will I hurt the battery?

The reason why I charge it to 90% is because I drive around 100 miles each day. I also try to plug it in every night when I get home (around 150-160 miles of range left). Is that okay?

Would it be recommended to charge at 80%? The reason why I don’t do 80% is because sometimes I may have some other earrings to run and things to do. So the extra range I use, “just in case.”

I don’t ever supercharge either unless I’m going on vacation (every 4 months or so.)

Is it okay if I charge every night when the battery still has more life left with 150 miles? Or should I charge it every OTHER day when the battery is around 20%.

The statement in bold, tesla says in the manual that there is no advantage of doing (running the battery down and then charging up).

90% is fine. charging daily is fine. based on your driving pattern (which is similar to my own). I have 13k miles, charge to 90%, and plug in every single time my car hits my garage (not just daily, but every single time I pull into my garage), and I have zero rated range miles loss.

Just keep doing what you are doing, and you will be fine.

Reactions: Phlier
Tesla prefers owners to set the charge at 90%
[…]
You can but Tesla prefers you to set it at 90%.
Where do you get that Tesla prefers 90%?

They give you a daily range guidance of 50-90% and tell you to charge it based on your daily needs.

Lower is better, but not at the cost of range anxiety.

OP, if you can last 2 days between charges to 90%, surely you can just charge to 70 or 80% every single day, no?

Setting it at 90% will minimize calculation drifts over time (minimize battery gauge inaccuracy).

This is true but the inaccuracy is temporary ... you can charge to 70% for a year, then switch to 90% for a bit and it will recalibrate.

If you are aware of this, then you can ignore small errors and just charge to whatever lower % suits your daily needs ... as Tesla suggests.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
You won’t hurt it as much as charging to 100% each day, but it won’t be as nice as if you ease up to 80% or really baby it at 70%.

If you don’t care about the environment and are not keeping your car a long time, charge as high as you like. If you want to be less wasteful and give your battery the absolute best shot at lasting it’s longest possible, then aim for lower.

Perfectly okay and preferred to charge daily. Keep it up.

150-160 miles left is a lot ... why not aim for 100 miles left? That still seems like a lot, no? If you charge to 70% every single night your battery will be happiest and you’ll still end every night with a lot of extra range for detours.

How long are your extra errands? More than 50 miles?

I would try 80% for a week and see how you feel with your range left nightly. If you feel okay, try 70%. Choose the lowest setting where you still feel okay and have no range anxiety, this number may go down over time. I used to charge to 90% daily even though I only use ~20% a day. I’ve since dropped to 70% charge target, and some days I’m sitting around 50% ... I don’t get anxious so I’m okay with the less stress I’m putting on the battery.

It’s not worth saving the battery a little stress if it will stress you out though!

If you get anxious at 80% go back to 90%. Try it again a few months later.

As already answered above, the manual says waiting to get lower before charging is not beneficial. Charge it daily. Always leave the house wth your “full” tank (for whatever “full” you need).

You probably left the house with less range in your ICE in the past, unless you got gas daily :)

Let me give a bit of a simplified answer... Charge to what you think you need to cover your daily needs. If you have to charge to 100% to cover your daily needs then that's what it is. Is charging to 100% regularly the best for your battery, no, but if that's what you need, that's what you need.

Now if you want to know what might be bad...or just not as good for your battery then... 100% charge regularly is not good and leaving the battery at 100% without driving the car right away is worse. Going to 0% is bad.

Personally, I strive to stay above 30% and try not to go below 20% for daily usage. On a long trip I'll push down to 10% as needed.

If you don’t care about the environment
That's a bit rough don't you think darth? haha

• Helpful
That's a bit rough don't you think darth? haha

Perhaps. But it really is wasteful to use things in a way such that they wear out sooner instead of making them last longer. I mean, if you have a choice, and it doesn’t inconvenience you at all, then why choose the less environmentally-friendly option?

“Who cares, it’s a lease” is somewhat valid, yet selfish, logic — but it’s not environmentally conscious nor considerate for a future owner.

This is my new go to hyperbolic argument for “charge-too-high’ers” ... you must hate the environment. Think of the children.

• Love
Perhaps. But it really is wasteful to use things in a way such that they wear out sooner instead of making them last longer. I mean, if you have a choice, and it doesn’t inconvenience you at all, then why choose the less environmentally-friendly option?

“Who cares, it’s a lease” is somewhat valid, yet selfish, logic — but it’s not environmentally conscious nor considerate for a future owner.

This is my new go to hyperbolic argument for “charge-too-high’ers” ... you must hate the environment. Think of the children.

Slippery slope my friend...protect the environment...but only if it doesn't inconvenience you. While I understand your point, you have added loopholes into the protect the environment idea.

Now don't go wearing out that (most likely made in china with coal power) keyboard by wastefully responding to me. ;)

Slippery slope my friend...protect the environment...but only if it doesn't inconvenience you. While I understand your point, you have added loopholes into the protect the environment idea.

Now don't go wearing out that (most likely made in china with coal power) keyboard by wastefully responding to me. ;)

It’s an iPad “keyboard”, and it’s already old and worn out ;)

I’m just saying for EV sake of ‘convenience’ ... if you need 100% to commute, you COULD instead charge to 70% and inconveniently drive across town and Supercharge every day for a few minutes. I’m not suggesting that. I’m saying of two basically identical choices, why NOT choose the one that may lengthen the product lifetime (even if that liefetime exceeds your time of ownership)?

KDWYD - Keep doing what you're doing..

That's because some owners went to Service Centers because of losing miles (not real loss, just calibration drifts).

The Service Centers slapped them with "poor charging habit" for setting their charge below 90% in the repair receipts and recommend them to set the charge to 90% .

I think that recommending 90% to get less calibration error is different than “preferring 90%”.

If you understand that estimation and calibration are subject to error and drift, then for battery health, lower than 90% would be “more preferred”. 90% is for people with degradation anxiety.

• Helpful