Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Rates/How to find them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I'm new to EV ownership and I have a 24' MYLR. I'm trying to get a better idea of kwh and how much everything is going to cost. I have a tesla wall charger in my garage. I've charged it twice during the hours of 11:45pm-6:15am and have used 63kwh. I live in Miramar, FL and can't find the rates. I looked at a few posts and if I'm interpreting everything correctly, the math is: total kwh x rate of off peak hours charged. So if the rate is .1 and I charged 63kwh then I should be charged 6.30$? If that daily average continues throughout the month, then 3.15$ x 30 days = 94.50$? Is this correct? Thank you in advance for any info.

I live in Miramar, FL and can't find the rates.

The rates will be on the website of the power company you pay each month for your power. It should be the same place you got that kWh used figure (because getting it from what the car says or what the wall connector says may not be accurate).

You will also want to look at your account with that utility (your power company) to verify what plan you actually are on, so you can verify the rate / tarrif.

Reactions: joeinNFLA
Hey, I'm new to EV ownership and I have a 24' MYLR. I'm trying to get a better idea of kwh and how much everything is going to cost. I have a tesla wall charger in my garage. I've charged it twice during the hours of 11:45pm-6:15am and have used 63kwh. I live in Miramar, FL and can't find the rates. I looked at a few posts and if I'm interpreting everything correctly, the math is: total kwh x rate of off peak hours charged. So if the rate is .1 and I charged 63kwh then I should be charged 6.30$? If that daily average continues throughout the month, then 3.15$ x 30 days = 94.50$? Is this correct? Thank you in advance for any info.
Looks about right if you charged twice in two days.

There is I think commonly extra charges applied per kW used but those are small in comparison to the tariff. Also there may be sales tax applied after the usage bill is calculated.

You will also want to confirm whether you have off-peak hours. They also may be different on weekdays and weekends.

In my area we have rate bands. After we consume 600 kWh in a month, the rate goes up by two cents per kWh. Keep in mind there are different rate methods in different areas so you'll definitely want to know rates and method used by your utility.

-add about 10% to what your car says it received due to charging losses
-your electricity rate will be listed on your bill
-theres usually a network/infrastructure cost in additional to the pure electricity rate
-you can also find regional prices from the bureau of labor services surveys, which is aggregated here; change the search query for your area

add about 10% to what your car says it received due to charging losses
This is worth exploring some more.

As I recall, the energy put into the battery is 85% of what came out of the wall unit.

If working from what the car reports as charge received the multiplier would be plus 17%.

If the wall unit reports separately it would be 1:1 precisely.

Or rather, it better be 1:1 because they are talking about them being licenced for dispensing to the public and billing.

Thank you for the answers. I'm looking at my bill and the price per kwh fluctuates every month. I also don't understand why off peak and on peak hours matter if we get charged a certain rate for under 1000kwh and then a higher rate for over 1000kwh. Is it that within the first 1000kwh there is off peak and on peak hours which are charged at a certain rate and then for over 1000kwh there are also off peak and on peak hours that are charged at a higher rate? Sorry if I'm confusing everyone. I'm confused myself.

I have free nights, 8:00pm-6:00am. We do laundry, dishwasher, Tesla charge, during those times.

We pay a higher rate during daylight hours.

The average rate we pay is virtually identical to if we paid a single rate. The ONLY way we would see any difference would be if we turned EVERYTHING off (A/C, refrigerators, hot water, lights) during daylight hours. Clearly that's not going to happen.

The only way to save on a consistent basis would be to change service every 12-18 months, and qualify for a discounted introductory rate.

As mentioned, you should switch your electricity rate to a Time Of Use option. This allows you to charge at much lower rates during the nighttime hours. You can set the Tesla options to charge during the off-peak hours.
A time-of-use plan may not be the best option for all people.

Where I live, the T-O-U plan is 1¢ per kWh after midnight, but this is offset by 20¢ per kWh during the day. My three AC units running from mid-morning to well into the evening during the late-spring, summer, and early fall months use a LOT more electricity at that 20¢ rate than charging my car at 1¢. For me, the flat-rate plan was more cost effective.

If I lived in California where the weather is near perfect most of the year, then maybe a T-O-U plan would be a better choice. But, if you live in the southwest, deep south, or southeast, there is a good chance a flat-rate plan might be a better choice than a T-O-U plan.

Your local electric provider is not altruistic. They aren't offering these alternative pricing plans out of the goodness of their heart. Your flat-rate plan is closely regulated by your local public service commission. I have a suspicion these "boutique" rate plans are less closely regulated because they are opt-in plans, and the power company has structured these to sound attractive in marketing but to be stacked in their favor.

TL;DR, you gotta get your power bills, a spreadsheet, and the rate plan documentation from your local electric company to actually figure out the best plan for you. If you're lazy, pick flat-rate but still charge in the late evening in case your provider can charger surge pricing during "unusually high load conditions."

My power co recently installed aerials to transmit use data from the meters. They say it works. Then they say if it doesn't work well enough they have to flat rate it.

If it requires flat rating for three nights straight they put you back on flat rates and forget about night rates.

Smells like a massive scam where you perpetually wind up paying the new day rate 24/7 3 nights out of 4.

The day rate on the day/night plan is 4c a kWh extra so it's not even really half price nights. More like 15% extra to 9pm and then it's 43% off overnight compared to the 24hr rare.

For most people it can work well if they use a instant hot water system and delay showering to late or do it in the morning and run washing machines and dryers at night.

In my case I can only lose if the scam is the thing. Probably 95% of the electric will be EV charging at night once I get going.

Almost nobody uses A/C during the day here unless it is for heating. Then you would be on 24hr I suspect because many more hours before 9pm than after 9pm.

On my bill says one rate compared to what their website says I should be getting charged. My bill says first 1000kwh = 0.081810, website says 0.07117 on bill says over 1000kwh = 0.091800 and website says 0.08116. I will call FPL tomorrow and hopefully they'll give me a straightforward answer. Thank you again for the answers.

Call and tell them you have an EV and ask for an EV rate. They will explain the cheaper rates, come out and switch your meter for a TOU meter. I started the process in advance of my delivery date and they completed it once I had proof of ownership. You will enter all your rate info into the Tesla app, including peak and off peak times, etc. You will then setup your charging times so it charges during your cheapest rate times. I use the departure feature which completes charging by the time I'm ready to leave for work.

For reference... my electric equaled out to roughly the same as before I had my EV and according to my app, my daily driven Model Y has costed me $160 to charge for the past year. I charge at home exclusively.