Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging reduced to 8A, can't adjust up, what happened?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Floyd Pink

Armed and extremely gregarious
Jun 4, 2021
Richmond, VA
My outdoor charger (50A breaker) used to charge my S and my 3 at ... if I recall correctly, 36 or 48A. Now, when either car is plugged, it's 8A, with no arrow on the app button allowing me to increase said amperage. It's been stuck at 8A for 2+ days. And I just noticed, at the top of the charge cord, that usually displays TESLA in green lights, I see now that the T is flashing red.

Is there a fix?

Does the flashing red T mean the cord is shot?

Thanks.

EDIT: Searching through other threads, I saw this:

It’s detecting a fault with the plug adapter. It’s either faulty, or more likely not seated completely

I just killed the breaker, re-seated the cord, switched the breaker back on. No change, the red T is still flashing, five times each.

Last edited:
1. Warranty? Probably not, it's > three years old. I s'pose I should check though.

2. What kind of charger? I think it's one of those NEMA 14-50 things, with a plug similar but not identical to a clothes dryer cord. The think black cord was purchased at my Tesla shop, plus a couple adapters, > three years ago. I'm told Tesla doesn't sell the plug-ins any more, the new ones are hard-wired in only. Sigh.

While it appears your chord was the problem, did you check the Nema receptacle for any signs of over-heating? Hubbell is the brand of receptacle that is recommended, since most others, while UL rated, are not as robust and have been known to overheat over time due to the heavy duty cycle of EV chargers. The Hubbell is more expensive, but worth the investment.

1. Warranty? Probably not, it's > three years old. I s'pose I should check though.

2. What kind of charger? I think it's one of those NEMA 14-50 things, with a plug similar but not identical to a clothes dryer cord. The think black cord was purchased at my Tesla shop, plus a couple adapters, > three years ago. I'm told Tesla doesn't sell the plug-ins any more, the new ones are hard-wired in only. Sigh.
They certainly do still sell a mobile connector with plug adapters:

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H