Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging reduced to zero%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new model Y, charged with wall charger yesterday for first time.Midway through the charge it dropped to zero mph charging and the AC seemed to get more intense. It eventually began to slowly increase back up to more mph. Is this normal? For context, it was super hot in garage (Texas heat). Thanks so much!

1. Reboot the car
  2. If that does not fix the problem, trip the breaker and open the wall connector (it is a connector not a charger, the charger is in the car.) Tighten all three connections (if you have a torque wrench, torque the terminal screws to 50 lbf . in (5.6Nm)), then reassemble and try again. This is a pretty common problem / fix.
  3. If you still have a problem submit a ticket to Tesla so they can check the wall connector logs. Also, see what happens when you charge the car elsewhere.

Upvote 0
For context, this is the first EV I have ever owned and it was the very first time I ever charged it. There is a toggle in the app that lets you adjust the amps from 44 and down. I assumed half would get me where I wanted to be by morning. Again - all new. Walked in garage and it sounded like the car fan was on, light humming from front. From what I read, that's normal, so I guess thats ok!

Upvote 0
The car will automatically reduce charging speed in excessive heat. It measures the heat at the plug handle.

It will also work pretty hard to cool the battery pack while charging.

Normally I would leave the vehicle set to whatever the max is for the available circuit and let the vehicle adjust as needed. But in really hot circumstances it might be safer to manually reduce it as you've already done.

I charge daily to 85% on my 2020 Tesla, even though I only use about 25% each day. If you charge every day on high amps you could try using scheduled departure and it will start charging as late as possible in order to be ready at the configured time. That would (hopefully) have it start after the garage temperature has come down somewhat.

Upvote 0
It is a wall charger. I had it set to 22kwh
It is possible there is a problem with the install of the wall charge or other your panel. If the on board charger detects voltage sag it will automatically lower charging current and might even disable charging all together.

My recommendation is to call a licensed electrician to check the connections in the panel and wall charger.

Upvote 0
Brand new model Y, charged with wall charger yesterday for first time.Midway through the charge it dropped to zero mph charging and the AC seemed to get more intense. It eventually began to slowly increase back up to more mph. Is this normal? For context, it was super hot in garage (Texas heat). Thanks so much!
Yes, that is normal if you have cabin overheat protection on.

Upvote 0