Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Setup Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I agonized for weeks on the best setup for charging at 240v in my garage. Here is the bottom line: if you plan on using just the Mobile Connector that came with the car (no wall connector), then all you need is 8 gauge wire, a 40amp breaker and a NEMA 14-50 outlet and the Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapter for the Mobile Connector. With this set up I am getting the max charging output from the Mobile Connector (32 amps) and a full 29 miles of range per hour of charging. No need to go to 6 gauge wire and a 50amp breaker. My run is about 125' from panel in house to sub-panel in garage, so no issue with long runs.

Not really sure why you would need to spend $500 on a Wall Connector, since my setup will allow me to easily charge overnight. I know there are some benefits with the wall connector, but not enough to justify the $500.

Reactions: gmetcalf18
So I agonized for weeks on the best setup for charging at 240v in my garage. Here is the bottom line: if you plan on using just the Mobile Connector that came with the car (no wall connector), then all you need is 8 gauge wire, a 40amp breaker and a NEMA 14-50 outlet and the Tesla NEMA 14-50 adapter for the Mobile Connector. With this set up I am getting the max charging output from the Mobile Connector (32 amps) and a full 29 miles of range per hour of charging. No need to go to 6 gauge wire and a 50amp breaker. My run is about 125' from panel in house to sub-panel in garage, so no issue with long runs.

Not really sure why you would need to spend $500 on a Wall Connector, since my setup will allow me to easily charge overnight. I know there are some benefits with the wall connector, but not enough to justify the $500.

For the most part I agree, but the wall connector is weather tight which allows for a permanent outdoor installation if you need it, and it is esthetically pleasing if that is a priority. I am using the 32 amp ChargePoint unit that I use with my Bolt EV myself since it is already installed and the cord is long enough to reach both cars.

Keith

Reactions: mrau and jcanoe

tax rebate for cost of wc and installation cost

@JeffreyC, All the above in #2-#6 (well done, everybody :) ) and, - its not a good idea, not for the health of the 14-50 adapter to be unplugging/plugging it into the NEMA 14-50. Now, keeping that in mind, there's people that wish to take their MC with them like to in-laws or friends when they travel. So, they are faced with, looks like I need to buy a second MC and leave on plugged in and one in the car. Well since Tesla dropped the WC price from $1500 in 2013 to ~$500, might as well get the WC 'cus its looks better.

Bottom line: Like @brkaus already said, "...there is no wrong answer if it meets code".

Last edited:

As long as the 14-50 receptacle is good quality you should be ok. There are lots of posts here and in the M3 section about melted poor quality receptacles. As was also mentioned, if you leave the mobile connector plugged in all the time you should be fine. Those receptacles are designed to have something “permanent“ plugged in. How often do you unplug your dryer?

The 14-50 receptacle is high quality (don't recall the brand, but not Leviton or anything from Home Depot). It is inside a garage, so no need to worry about the elements. I did read the comment about frequent unplugging from the receptacle and asked my electrician about it (30+ years in the business) and he said he has never heard about such a concern. I will remove it a few times a year as we have another home and I will take the cable and adapter with me. However, I am sure I will just get another cable and adapter for the other house - eventually.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Mrbrock
For me the kicker that pushed me from my 14-50 outlet/Mobile Connector to the Wall Connector was the Code requirement for GFCI on the 14-50 circuit.

The more you dig, you will find that Tesla recommends not to have a GFCI due to the built in GFCI protection within the car. With a direct wire solution such as the WC, no GFCI is required. So now you have a decision to make, to follow code or not.

Reactions: Rocky_H