TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging Station Installation Costs

Discussion in 'Technical' started by neno, Jun 30, 2016.

1. neno

neno New Member

Hello I'm an EE student working on a case study and for my modelling I need to know the costs for installing charging stations for EVs. This brought me to this forum If you can hand me this information with a reliable source I'd really appreciate it.

thanks in advance.

2. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

It's been noted that the Tesla supercharging stations are under $300,000 depending on location.
    Supercharger: It Could Cost Half the Price of Gas | ARK

You'll find a couple other sources that list about the same price. It's not outrageous like a H2 filling station.

A home charger can cost $500 - $5000 depending on what needs to be done.

the slower 110v outlets are virtually free

3. Pilar Beckner

Pilar Beckner Member

I have not seen a EV charging station in our place yet or either an electric vehicle supply equipment. In case there will be one to install , I have read online that putting up an electric vehicle charging stations may be eligible for a tax credit of 30% of the qualifying costs, up to $30,000. So , I think, it will very expensive to have one though its convenient for those who own an electric car.

4. Solar Impulse2

I don't know if the following is what you are looking for, but here it is:

I've placed an order for a Model S and last Friday installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet in preparation for its arrival. I got estimates from a number of sources which I summarize below:

1) our town offers off-peak discount EV rate if we install a second meter. I took this option. It cost me $1600.00 for installing the meter (and hook up to main from street), circuit breaker, wiring and a NEMA 14-50 outlet.

2) my second option was to just use the normal rate and install the outlet off of the existing panel. Since our panel iis 100 amp max, we needed to upgrade to a 200 amp panel. The estimated cost for this option was $3000.00.

Some relevant cost factors: The installation was done in Boston area and the outlet was installed about 10 feet away from the planet/meter.

Hope this helps.