Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stopped at superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve twice had super chargers stop charging after about 10 mins. Both times I was able to remotely restart charging from the app. Both times it seemed like it restarted at a much slower charging speed... like Tesla was using the charging interruption as a way to throttle free charging(?).

I have been to 4 diff SCs over last week and had happen multiple times I thought it was the charger but wondering now if software ..in 5years of Tesla ownership never have had this many issues as SC regularly ..I’m on 20.1

I have been to 4 diff SCs over last week and had happen multiple times I thought it was the charger but wondering now if software ..in 5years of Tesla ownership never have had this many issues as SC regularly ..I’m on 20.1
At my last 3 superchargings in Belgium, at different places, charging stopped 3-4 times.
Now I hear that they ‘upgraded’ these chargers to be able to load quicker (for newer cars).
Mine was already topped to 92-93kW (to avoid battery regression-it’s a 90D, known issue).
Since the upgrade it charges at 95kW.

Were your SuCs upgraded as well? Was the issue solved in the meantime? Roadsite assistance has sent the logs now to my SeC.

I’ve twice had super chargers stop charging after about 10 mins. Both times I was able to remotely restart charging from the app. Both times it seemed like it restarted at a much slower charging speed... like Tesla was using the charging interruption as a way to throttle free charging(?).

I hate conspiracy theories like this. Tesla is not interrupting charges to save money, inconvenience or punish owners with free Supercharging. It’s a problem with that piece of charging equipment and nothing nefarious.

I hate conspiracy theories like this. Tesla is not interrupting charges to save money, inconvenience or punish owners with free Supercharging. It’s a problem with that piece of charging equipment and nothing nefarious.
Are you sure it's not an attempt by aliens (who are quite comfortable in their lux Area 51 penthouses), to slow down the incoming Tesla owners rush of Area 51?

Seems legit.

We’ve pulled into a few stalls that had slow to almost non-existent charge rate and sometimes also received messages that the charging stopped prematurely. Assume it’s a power or equipment issue. We also have been at SC locations that have been designated busy ones and had the system set our charge to 80%. For the most part the 80% will get people to the next charger where charging will be faster than waiting for a 80-100% charge so saving you time waiting to charge. I think we always received a notification about the restricted SOC level, and if need be it can be manually adjusted above the 80% once charging starts (and not needed I think if using the Trip Planner).

With the advent of so many more Teslas on the road traveling and needing to charge at SCs, it’s all about reducing the wait time for people needing to get back on the road. Any other reason is purely ridiculous as the owner can go to another SC and still charge again. I do like the aliens theory however. Maybe they’re from Mars checking out this guy Musk’s technology.

Last edited: