Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stops unexpectedly, usually resumes right away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y that I got in September. Recently, I am getting notifications from the app most times I charge that charging stopped unexpectedly. Usually, charging starts again right away, so there isn't really a big problem. A few times (2 or 3 times), charging has stopped and not resumed, and the charger has a red light on it and I have to flip the circuit breaker to reset it.

The problem seems to be getting worse in the last couple weeks; I never had this problem in the first months of ownership; now it happens almost every night, sometimes twice. There is nothing in the cars notification list. I'm not sure if there is any way to get any diagnostics from the charger itself.

Is it worth following up with the charger installation company (who are the ones who actually bought the charger and installed it and the wiring) or Tesla now? Intermittant problems are so difficult to diagnose and resolve, so I'm uncertain what the best way to proceed is.

Anyone seen this before or have an idea what might be going on?

What kind of charger is it? I've seen that on an HPWC where one of the relays is going bad. After a while, one leg of the 240 magically disconnects(due to the bad relay) and the HPWC stops and restarts the charge in response. I've never seen it not restart though.

What kind of charger is it? I've seen that on an HPWC where one of the relays is going bad. After a while, one leg of the 240 magically disconnects(due to the bad relay) and the HPWC stops and restarts the charge in response. I've never seen it not restart though.
Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's a standard Tesla brand wall connector (not the mobile charger). 48 amp charging, 60 amp breaker.

What software version is installed on your Tesla Model Y and what firmware version is installed on the Tesla Wall Connector?
Car: 2023.2.12
Wall Connector: 23.8.2

Wall connector web page reported an "32 Internal fault, charging disabled" from when it showed a solid red light and had to be reset a few days ago. As mentioned before, turning the breaker off and on reset this.

No message associated with the more common situation (usually every time I charge) where I get a notification and charging stops for a few seconds, then resumes.

Car: 2023.2.12
Wall Connector: 23.8.2

Wall connector web page reported an "32 Internal fault, charging disabled" from when it showed a solid red light and had to be reset a few days ago. As mentioned before, turning the breaker off and on reset this.

No message associated with the more common situation (usually every time I charge) where I get a notification and charging stops for a few seconds, then resumes.
Get it replaced under warranty.

I also have a 2023 Model Y, same software update just happened a few days ago, wall charger on same firmware from this March. Last two day plugging in at home and also got the same message one time each day, but the charging continued.

I also have the wall monitor app, and will have it open and monitor next time. It looks like there is a big increase in error codes being detected by the wall monitor app for everyone that uses it in the last few weeks. I am going to surmise that there is a bug in the updated car software, or wall charger firmware.

There is a wall charger 23.8.3 version, but is only on a few chargers right now. Hopefully it is just a bug that can be fixed.

I also have a 2023 Model Y, same software update just happened a few days ago, wall charger on same firmware from this March. Last two day plugging in at home and also got the same message one time each day, but the charging continued.

I also have the wall monitor app, and will have it open and monitor next time. It looks like there is a big increase in error codes being detected by the wall monitor app for everyone that uses it in the last few weeks. I am going to surmise that there is a bug in the updated car software, or wall charger firmware.

There is a wall charger 23.8.3 version, but is only on a few chargers right now. Hopefully it is just a bug that can be fixed.
I had the same issue with my Wall Connector. It happened in both my Model 3 and Y. I updated the Wall Connector firmware and that solved the issue.

Me too - Mine just started showing this alert. Usually within 30 minutes of plugging into my connector (Tesla). Mine restarts right away. but you can hear the relay actually opening and then re-closing within three seconds or so.

I have the same problem:

Tesla model 3 LR December 2021 china made for Europe (latest firmware 2023.12.5)

Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3 ( latest firmware 23.8.2)

The charger is connected to 3 phase, and charges the car with 16A, ~230V (x3) = 11kW.

There is a scheduled time to start the charging, in my case 23:15 and it charges until 80%. Usually after 20-30 minutes of charging I am getting the first notification that the charging is stopped unexpectedly, it resumes right after that automatically. If the charging session is longer I am getting the same notification every 40 minutes to 1 hour. The are no alerts (notifications) in the car nor in the charger menu. If you are next to the charger you can hear how the relay clicks.

All of this started to appear mid March 2023. Before that for an year and 3 months I didn’t have any problems or interruptions.

If I charge the car on a public AC station I don’t get any interruptions.

There must be a problem with the latest firmware update. I had my Wall Connector installed a year ago and never had a single issue, but apparently my router used WPA3 so it never connected to WiFi to update. The other day I thought I’d finally connect it to get any latest updates and ever since I updated from 22.23.0 to 23.8.2, I get one to two of these alerts a day. Really hope this gets resolved soon.

Reactions: ML16
It happens from time to time on my 2020 model 3. I'm using a Clipper Creek charger. It always starts back right away. Maybe a glitch in the app?
Happened to me this morning (first time). Was out walking and I got a Tesla app notification that charging had stopped and added 24 miles. When I got back to the car, and got in, the screen showed an active charge, as did the screen on the ChargePoint unit. I continued to charge for another 30 minutes with no problems. While this was happening the CP app showed the charge continuing. There were a few times when the internet connection at the charging site apparently dropped out and then reconnected.

There must be a problem with the latest firmware update. I had my Wall Connector installed a year ago and never had a single issue, but apparently my router used WPA3 so it never connected to WiFi to update. The other day I thought I’d finally connect it to get any latest updates and ever since I updated from 22.23.0 to 23.8.2, I get one to two of these alerts a day. Really hope this gets resolved soon.

I had the same scenario. I have an Eero Mesh wifi and was able to connect my Home Charger after changing my mesh Wifi config to use WPA2 and not WPA3. After updating to 23.8.2 from a year old release -- I received a few of these error messages when charging day.

1) The errors were transitive -- the charger quickly resumes charging after one of these error messages
2). It hasn't happened again for a couple of weeks.

I have similar issue after firmware upgrade. Here is what Tesla answer - short term revert back to 22.41.2 firmware:

"We are sorry to hear you are experiencing charging session interruptions with your Tesla Wall Connector. Our teams are working on a solution at the moment. Please note that the car's charging rate is similar to the full speed as the interruptions are short. Thank you for your patience, we are working on implementing a fix as soon as possible. We have seen this to be temporarily resolved if you revert back to a previous firmware version (attached). You can use the offline firmware update process to upload the attached file."