Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging the Semi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is worth noting that electric vehicles "mileage" is severely affected by load, so a reported 500 mile range may really only get you 250 miles under duress, like a diesel counterpart would do without issue, comparatively. So with that said, charging depots would not be able to be consistently spread out, so you may often come across a charger while you are still at 40% battery, but you must charge there because you won't reach the next charger if you go straight through. That would negate much of the excellent speed of charging from 0-70% battery. Thoughts?

I think it is worth noting that electric vehicles "mileage" is severely affected by load, so a reported 500 mile range may really only get you 250 miles under duress, like a diesel counterpart would do without issue, comparatively. So with that said, charging depots would not be able to be consistently spread out, so you may often come across a charger while you are still at 40% battery, but you must charge there because you won't reach the next charger if you go straight through. That would negate much of the excellent speed of charging from 0-70% battery. Thoughts?

No because you would know that at your prior charging stop and only charge an appropriate amount to get to the next charging stop.

Reactions: GSP
I think it is worth noting that electric vehicles "mileage" is severely affected by load, so a reported 500 mile range may really only get you 250 miles under duress

Tesla quotes the Semi range at max gross load, which is "under duress" one would think.
Marked disagree on your post, unless I misunderstood what you are trying to say in the Semi thread, sure, Model X range is quoted without towing consideration, whereas Semi range is absolutely quoted with weight and other penalty considered.