Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging time at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone

I have a LR dual motor M3 and I have a ChargePoint charger at home connected to standard NEMA 14-50 outlet. I have not gone with regular Tesla charger because shipping and wait times were 2-4 weeks for Tesla charger when I bought the car.

This ChargePoint one is taking around around 6 1/2 -7 hr for a 200 miles charging. Is this normal or Tesla brand
charger charges fast.

I have set charging range to 276 miles. So last night I have started at 70 miles at 9 PM and charging finished at 276 miles at 3 AM.

A question - How many amps does the charging display show?

I am also using a NEMA 14-50 plug and the Tesla Portable Wall charger for my Performance Model 3 (with Performance Upgrade Option). It is charging at its max of 32 amps.

6 hours to charge seems reasonable.

Hello everyone

I have a LR dual motor M3 and I have a ChargePoint charger at home connected to standard NEMA 14-50 outlet. I have not gone with regular Tesla charger because shipping and wait times were 2-4 weeks for Tesla charger when I bought the car.

This ChargePoint one is taking around around 6 1/2 -7 hr for a 200 miles charging. Is this normal or Tesla brand
charger charges fast.

I have set charging range to 276 miles. So last night I have started at 70 miles at 9 PM and charging finished at 276 miles at 3 AM.

Chargepoint can deliver a max of 32amps while the LR can charge at 48amps max. Tesla Wall Connector can deliver all the way up to 80amps. Assuming the circuit is wired to handle 48amps continuous usage, it will take Tesla WC two-thirds the time taken by Chargepoint to charge an LR.

Hello everyone

charger charges fast.

Your ChargePoint unit probably maxes out at 32 amps, the same as your Mobile Connector. That is why @Brfong gets about the same charge time using his MC. Your NEMA 14-50 is capable of 40 amps continuous, so if you had waited for the Tesla unit, you could get that rate, 25% faster. You could also have wired the HPWC directly on a 60 amp circuit to get the full 48 amps, the full capacity of the car's charger.

All that said, you will be fine at your current (haha) rate.

Hello everyone

charger charges fast.

Yep, that's about right for a non-Tesla EVSE or the UMC. It looks to be a great solution for you, maybe even higher than you really need.

A question - How many amps does the charging display show?

I am also using a NEMA 14-50 plug and the Tesla Portable Wall charger for my Performance Model 3 (with Performance Upgrade Option). It is charging at its max of 32 amps.

6 hours to charge seems reasonable.
Shows 32AMP max. But I heard that until 80% charging goes fast and it takes longer to charge from 80-100% range. Is that true ?

So because of that possibility you thought it worthwhile to give up the convenience of just being able to plug in, without fooling with the J1772 adapter?
The ChargePoint is a nice EVSE that also works with other brand EVs. Even with an adapter, it is more convenient than using the UMC. I wouldn’t belittle the OP for not using the Tesla solution.

I wasn’t aware that Tesla comes up with MC to use on a 14-50 outlet. Bad research on my part. I was in a hurry and bought that charger point unit for $600. Probably a bad idea now that i come to think of it.

I wouldn't sweat it. It's a cleaner set-up having a mounted connector at home and this way you can keep the UMC in your car 100% of the time for when needed (having said that, I've used the UMC one time testing on a 120 volt just to make sure it worked). I would recommend buying a second J1772 adapter to keep one on the unit at all times and the second in the car (I do use the adapter several times per month).

Reactions: SSedan
Why not just stick with the mobile charger that comes with the car if you already have a NEMA 14-50 outlet?

Should have done this while waiting the 4 weeks for the Tesla wall connector.

I believe in redundant charging solutions so I think the HCWC is still a good thing to have. If you wire it to the 14-50 circuit you will have a spare neutral wire and be able to charge at 40amps, this is a VERY simple project and very simply swapped back to an outlet if you move. If you are uncomfortable with the actual install and are involving an electrician I would ask if the box and wiring are large enough to upgrade to a 60amp breaker and 48amp setting on the HCWC.

In cold climates I think having the ability to charge faster is great, warms the battery more , makes it easier to time charging to end right before you leave.

IMO the Chargepoint was a bad idea no matter which way you excuse it, if you were going to be happy with 32amps then a spare UMC for $300 was the better idea. If the Chargepoint was free due to local rebate or the like ONLY then would I consider it.

The Tesla UMC and HCWC are so good others convert them to J1772.

When the Chargpoint is plugged into a 14-50 outlet as he is indicating the excuse of ready for other vehicles is null and void, it has some merit if hard wired.

We ALL make mistakes, there is value in them if you learn from them and even better if you help others, and helping others is the reason for my post. The OP has functional charging and now that his expectations are in line with his equipment I am going to presume all is well, but hopefully the further discussion helps the next person.

The ChargePoint is a nice EVSE that also works with other brand EVs. Even with an adapter, it is more convenient than using the UMC. I wouldn’t belittle the OP for not using the Tesla solution.
I was comparing to the Wall Connector. Regardless, it’s not possibly more convenient than the UMC. Take handle off hook on wall and plug in. What could be more convenient? Or are you plugging in your UMC each time? You don’t need it in the car with you except on long trips. The “mobile” in UMC is a capability, not a requirement. Buying a 3rd party EVSE seems like a silly unnecessary expense unless you actually own another EV along with your Tesla.

Reactions: kavyboy and jgs
I believe in redundant charging solutions so I think the HCWC is still a good thing to have
My redundant charging solution is the supercharger less than 10 minutes away from my house. ;) Seriously, the UMC seems to be very robust (at least I have never heard of one failing). I don't think it is necessary to invest in an extra unless you really need it frequently away from home.
IMO the Chargepoint was a bad idea no matter which way you excuse it, if you were going to be happy with 32amps then a spare UMC for $300 was the better idea. If the Chargepoint was free due to local rebate or the like ONLY then would I consider it.
It's not a bad EVSE though. I like how you can easily track your energy use through the Chargepoint app. But yes, it seems like a bit of a waste of money in this case.

Reactions: jgs
View attachment 357214 I will return the ChargePoint as it’s kind of waste for me now. Not worth spending $600 for tracking my usage.

Do you guys know which NEMA Aadpter I have to buy ? Mine is a 40AMP circuit breaker. Default adapter from TESLA doesn’t fit the outlet. Attached are the images of my outlet and adapter I have right now.

I went with that type of outlet because ChargePoint adapter only fits that 3 point pin.

Attachments

• 6561FB0C-92A6-45F1-988E-C4BABEA7F2ED.jpeg
    6561FB0C-92A6-45F1-988E-C4BABEA7F2ED.jpeg
    339.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 8D695307-E935-4139-A86C-FCFCC5D5DCEA.jpeg
    8D695307-E935-4139-A86C-FCFCC5D5DCEA.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
My redundant charging solution is the supercharger less than 10 minutes away from my house. ;) Seriously, the UMC seems to be very robust (at least I have never heard of one failing). I don't think it is necessary to invest in an extra unless you really need it frequently away from home.
It's not a bad EVSE though. I like how you can easily track your energy use through the Chargepoint app. But yes, it seems like a bit of a waste of money in this case.

I have superchargers ballpark 30minutes north and south of me, but my daily routine involves going less than 15minutes east. Relying on superchargers for a week or two while waiting on a new wall connector or UMC would be a major disruption, particularly in winter when battery heating causes drastic efficiency reduction. Boston weather will easily double energy use if the car spends time outdoors like oh say at work and the commute is short. Longer the commute the lesser the impact of battery warming and reduced regen.

I have a 7mile each way drive and warmed up off the wall connector with timed charging and manual preheat come January I will literally see doubled energy consumption here near Green Bay. Boston wont be quite as bad but will trend in this direction. In fall/spring I see 280wh/m in my P85, right now I have been preheating heavily on the wall connector and charging at 60amps delivered ending just in time to leave and I have seen 450wh/m and it isn't even cold yet, January and sub-zero this WILL go over 500wh/m just from the battery and cabin warming at the occasional lunch run and after work drive home. If it had no shore power warming in the morning this number would spike much further. If I couldn't home charge in winter I would have to switch to my rusty old ICE truck, would be unsustainable for even a week or two in winter with a short commute. If you turn on range mode and don't heat the battery the supercharging will be horribly slow to start too.