Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging using 30A and 50A twist connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My work has 2 available twist lock receptacles that I can use for charging my M3. Wondering what type of adapters I need to do this.

Leviton 30A 120/208v L21-30
Leviton 50A 3P 4W 125 / 250 VAC CS

I have a Mobile Connector with a 14-50 adapter.

30a.jpg
50amp.jpg

The best option is get an adapter from evseadapters.com to plug directly into the UMC.

Second best would be an adapter from those to a 14-50R and use your tesla 14-50P adapter. Just be sure if you do that with the 30 amp outlet you dial back the amperage in the car, although that’s not ideal to rely on for long term as there’s always a chance the software limit gets reset unintentionally and it tries to pull more than 30 amps.

I recommend getting the appropriate pigtail for the mobile connector from EVSE Adapters . I used their 30A twist lock at marinas for about a year with great success. It's better than stringing adapters together.

The best option is get an adapter from evseadapters.com to plug directly into the UMC.

Second best would be an adapter from those to a 14-50R and use your tesla 14-50P adapter. Just be sure if you do that with the 30 amp outlet you dial back the amperage in the car, although that’s not ideal to rely on for long term as there’s always a chance the software limit gets reset unintentionally and it tries to pull more than 30 amps.

They have a L21-30 adapter which I believe would work for the 30amp outlet, but it's out of stock.

The 50amp outlet I think this is the one I would need. When I look closer and rotate the photo it reads CS 6369.

I went with a 30A for my marina time because the first marina I was at had a 30A outlet in the parking lot, but everywhere I went after that had 30A and 50A. There were days I wish I had the 50A! :D The 30A is only 120v where as the 50A is 240v.

Be aware the mobile connector maxes at 32A. So you won't be getting full power, but it'll still be a lot more than the 30A. Namely because of the doubled voltage.

Reactions: scotteh
Yes, best option.
Second best would be an adapter from those to a 14-50R and use your tesla 14-50P adapter. Just be sure if you do that with the 30 amp outlet you dial back the amperage in the car,
No, that's not the second best, because of the second part of your sentence. People shouldn't have to do that. If someone is going to put together a small pigtail from one plug type to one receptacle type, match the amp level so it's foolproof! So this L21-30 should go to a 14-30, not a 14-50.

Third best option would be converting mismatched amp levels so people have to try to remember to manually dial down the current on the car's system (not preferred).