Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging voltage dropping from 40a to 30a

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The voltage won't drop during the taper at the end of the charging. If you the voltage dropped to 226v mid charge even after the car reduced to 30a then either you had a wiring problem or an electrical service problem. I would bet on the issue being a bad/loose connection before I would bet on it being a bad breaker.
the electrician re-tightened the 14-50 receptacle this afternoon and replaced the breaker......for 45 min charging everything was ok.....will complete the charge from 40% to 90% tonight and monitor the charging graph in teslafi

226 is quite low for 240v service. This is why the car was backing off the current.
gonna be contacting the power company tomorrow.....I too believe it may be a poor transformer....I think years back my neighbor had issues and they said it would cost too much to fix. I am going to tell then=m I have power issues and my home is not handling the power degradation and equipment is not functioning properly so they will come out and check....gonna show the charts I have showing the 226 voltage reading...we'll see what they say and if any action is taken

Hi r1200gs4ok,

I am glad it is working for you...
I must disagree with the statement in post 39 that discoloration of a breaker
is "normal" and "expected."
Discoloration of a breaker from heat is ABNORMAL and indicates that something is wrong.
Glad that tightening the terminals and replacing the breaker is working better.

You are right in following up with the utility 226 V is fairly low and will cause
a higher Amp draw...
It could be too many houses on your transformer or an old outdated transformer
combined with corroded, high resistance connections.

These cars and their continuous charging do tend to reveal any hidden weaknesses in the utility.

Keep us posted,

Shawn

Hi r1200gs4ok,

I am glad it is working for you...
I must disagree with the statement in post 39 that discoloration of a breaker
is "normal" and "expected."
Discoloration of a breaker from heat is ABNORMAL and indicates that something is wrong.
Glad that tightening the terminals and replacing the breaker is working better.

You are right in following up with the utility 226 V is fairly low and will cause
a higher Amp draw...
It could be too many houses on your transformer or an old outdated transformer
combined with corroded, high resistance connections.

These cars and their continuous charging do tend to reveal any hidden weaknesses in the utility.

Keep us posted,

Shawn

will do..........the discoloration was very slight....almost looked liked a normal oxidation on exposed copper.....I dont think this was related to heat......but we changed the breaker anyway.....will keep you guys posted after tonights charging

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 10.50.34 AM.png
here is a pix of my charging after the breaker replacement and tightening of the connections in the receptacle

Experiencing the same issue. Wall charger with the NEMA 14-50 pigtail, Model 3. Reseting the charger works initially for an hour or so, then it drops back to 30A charging and shows a green stream with a middle red/orange every other steam. Looking at this thread, looks like the issue is related to the breaker?

Experiencing the same issue. Wall charger with the NEMA 14-50 pigtail, Model 3. Reseting the charger works initially for an hour or so, then it drops back to 30A charging and shows a green stream with a middle red/orange every other steam. Looking at this thread, looks like the issue is related to the breaker?

What voltage does the car report when charging at both 40 and 30 amps?

that is exactly what mine did.....it is the charger......Tesla sent me new charger and I hard wired it.....the charger is bad and they know it, so tell them that they know and have been replacing with hard wired units unless they ran out....the wire in the charger is too small and cause heat in handle and at NEMA connector....

just persuade them it is charger fault and ask for replacement.....they even paid for 50% of cost to re-install for me...

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
What voltage does the car report when charging at both 40 and 30 amps?

235 V

that is exactly what mine did.....it is the charger......Tesla sent me new charger and I hard wired it.....the charger is bad and they know it, so tell them that they know and have been replacing with hard wired units unless they ran out....the wire in the charger is too small and cause heat in handle and at NEMA connector....

just persuade them it is charger fault and ask for replacement.....they even paid for 50% of cost to re-install for me...
Thanks! How did you contact Tesla about this? App appointment or email?

235 V

Thanks! How did you contact Tesla about this? App appointment or email?
I set up chat by using the "charger" issue....they called me in a day or two.....make them aware in the chat/text you can no longer charge....If your unit is out of warranty they may not help you....be sure to have receipts of when you bought it and invoice for installation

Reactions: SpaceAlienX