Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with no home charger is just as expensive as petrol?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few cars with the performance of a Model 3 will get 40+ mpg.

Your local taxing schemes may often determine if driving with electricity is less expensive than using Gas/Diesel.

Biggest difference is that gassers pollute your local air much more than EVs.diesel
I'm sorry but we don't have 'local taxing schemes' in the UK & the points made here are all UK specific.

Our miles, yards and feet are the same but UK pints and gallons are larger volume than the USA & this complicates comparisons between the two nations. 'Your' gas is petrol to 'us' and 'our' gas usually generates shore based energy so even '40+' mpg actually means different things.

I apologise that this appears facetious but I'm currently in Idaho & today filled up a 35mpg(US) Toyota at $3.68(US) Gal with 'gas'. I see relatively few Teslas or other EVs in this state compared to the many times I am in SoCal but a vast quantity of huge Pick Ups, enormous SUVs & other monster sized 'gassers', volumes of which are thankfully far fewer in our little nation. I'm glad that new sales of these sort of things in the UK will be totally banned in 8 years... so on that point I hope we agree!

Reactions: Filbert1884
Few cars with the performance of a Model 3 will get 40+ mpg.

Your local taxing schemes may often determine if driving with electricity is less expensive than using Gas/Diesel.

Biggest difference is that gassers pollute your local air much more than EVs.

In the UK 40mpg by your US calculation is 48.038 mpg here ... that's because our gallons are bigger. 30 mpg in USA is 36.028 mpg in UK.

I see relatively few Teslas or other EVs in this state compared to the many times I am in SoCal but a vast quantity of huge Pick Ups, enormous SUVs & other monster sized 'gassers', volumes of which are thankfully far fewer in our little nation.
@Drew57 , you're from Chester and don't see monster sized "gassers" to a much greater extent than in the past? Have you seen the size of the new Range Rover? The BMW X7? The Ford Ranger? It's been a long time since we were a nation which loved small cars.

Lots of reasons why you wont see Teslas in Idaho to the extent you do in California... Given Idaho has a population density less than a tenth of California as a whole, let alone Southern California, and big distances between relatively small cities, it's arguable that Teslas really don't fit the needs of drivers there or even make the same "environmental" sense (which, as @Unclepaul rightly said, is more about local air quality than global CO2)

And with average US retail gas price this week is $3.38, with a year peak of $3.51... US Gas price when we pay $7.41 equivalent per (slightly different) gallon... UK Petrol prices, where's the impetus?

I'm glad that new sales of these sort of things in the UK will be totally banned in 8 years... so on that point I hope we agree!
Sorry, I don't because I think the ban is not, in fact an environmental measure (because, China and India and global shipping) but is simply designed to drive ALL cars out of cities - because i. owners of expensive flats will never be able to have the convenience that 90% of people on here have, of a driveway charge point and ii. it remains a sad fact that most who live in inner city areas don't live in expensive flats and are less likely to be able to afford a new car - and while driving cars out of cities may be laudable it should be done honestly and with thought to alternative provision.

Reactions: rotor2k
@Drew57 , you're from Chester and don't see monster sized "gassers" to a much greater extent than in the past? Have you seen the size of the new Range Rover? The BMW X7? The Ford Ranger? It's been a long time since we were a nation which loved small cars.
If you were here you might see my point & it's not just SUVs but the sheer volume of pickups (including enormous long wheelbase versions, often with hard covered cargo areas) literally everywhere. Regular 'sedans' are in the minority.