Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with ungrounded 5-15?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think so. The UMC pod gives a red light when the ground is disconnected and no charging happens.
It's fairly dangerous to charge without the car grounded...a internal fault could make the chassis hot and become a major shock hazard...this is why they disable it when ground is not detected.
That being said, in an emergency you could probably jumper neutral to ground. The best thing to do is have an electrician wire a ground to the outlet you want to use.

This 60+ yr old house has 5-15 outlets in the garage, but the ground is not connected. Hot and neutral are ok. Will MS even accept a charge from these?

Thanks.

If you are pulling a third wire for ground, it might not cost much more to pull two additional heavier wires for a dedicated 240V outlet. Much faster charging with 30A 240V or greater.

That's certainly the route I would choose to go if we ended up having to pull new wires. The problem is that it's a detached garage, and the current wiring from the house is in an underground conduit under a concrete walkway and stairs. So, not wanting to tear up and re-pour concrete, if I were to run new cabling for 240v/40a service, it'd be a new above ground conduit, and trying to find a way to route that from the house, across the walkway, and most importantly, carefully across a rockery planted by my wife so that it's not an eyesore.

That's certainly the route I would choose to go if we ended up having to pull new wires. The problem is that it's a detached garage, and the current wiring from the house is in an underground conduit under a concrete walkway and stairs. So, not wanting to tear up and re-pour concrete, if I were to run new cabling for 240v/40a service, it'd be a new above ground conduit, and trying to find a way to route that from the house, across the walkway, and most importantly, carefully across a rockery planted by my wife so that it's not an eyesore.

I think they can run a new conduit underground and therefore, it does not require you to tear up anything. Ask a contractor.

Just something to keep in mind - you may not simply run wiring for a new outlet to a detached garage in addition to another circuit, as NEC states that you may only have one branch circuit to a detached building. Anything more and you're required to do a feeder to a new subpanel. You're not even permitted to run a second circuit for a dedicated 5-15.

If you have conduit in the ground, is there a reason you can't use the existing wire to pull new wire through (assuming the conduit is large enough for the larger conductors required for a subpanel)?

There are ways to put new conduit in the ground, but it sounds like this run may be really short which would make directional boring uneconomical.

9Yx92QJ.jpe

Sorry, I needed to post it :D