Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charing TESLA at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear,

When I try to charge my Tesla at home on a schuko ; I get on 4 red blinks (grounding issue). Except for one socket, the difference is that it's using the exact same ground, with one difference : there is a breaker right before this (extra breaker) as it's on my workbench. Funny that when I use the source of my workbench it says bad ground, when I connect my workbench to the same source (with breaker added) it works. Any idea what this is?

Does it really expect N+earth to be connected? as this is not required by our distribution.

Answer is yes it does. For safety reasons. If you don't have a functioning earth connection you could theoretically be electrocuted if you touched that chassis of the car when charging (assuming there is a short in the car somewhere). So for safety you need a P,N and E connections for the UMC to engage.

Dear,

When I try to charge my Tesla at home on a schuko ; I get on 4 red blinks (grounding issue). Except for one socket, the difference is that it's using the exact same ground, with one difference : there is a breaker right before this (extra breaker) as it's on my workbench. Funny that when I use the source of my workbench it says bad ground, when I connect my workbench to the same source (with breaker added) it works. Any idea what this is?

Does it really expect N+earth to be connected? as this is not required by our distribution.

Zoek naar Neuter, dan vind je genoeg! :cool:

Answer is yes it does. For safety reasons. If you don't have a functioning earth connection you could theoretically be electrocuted if you touched that chassis of the car when charging (assuming there is a short in the car somewhere). So for safety you need a P,N and E connections for the UMC to engage.

Out of curiosity and my lack of electricity knowledge; what are P, N and E?

Out of curiosity and my lack of electricity knowledge; what are P, N and E?

P = Phase
N = Neutral
E = Earth

I'm not sure if this is the correct translation to english. If you are dealing with multi-phase power then you will sometimes see:

N = Neutral
E = Earth
L1 = Phase 1
L2 = Phase 2
L3 = Phase 3.

This applies to the 3-phase power that we use in northern europe. The US uses single-phase high amp systems instead.

P = Phase
N = Neutral
E = Earth

I'm not sure if this is the correct translation to english. If you are dealing with multi-phase power then you will sometimes see:

N = Neutral
E = Earth
L1 = Phase 1
L2 = Phase 2
L3 = Phase 3.

This applies to the 3-phase power that we use in northern europe. The US uses single-phase high amp systems instead.

Thank you! I live in Turkey and we also have 3-phase power. I have a non-Tesla EV and the EVSE they installed said there was 380V 32A electricity. Turns out 380V is Line to line voltage. So voltage relative to neutral is still 220V. For charging power calculation's sake; 220V * 32A * 3 phases = 21kW. Instead in the single phase US power you'd need a ~100A breaker for this if I'm not mistaken.

Again, thank you.

Thank you! I live in Turkey and we also have 3-phase power. I have a non-Tesla EV and the EVSE they installed said there was 380V 32A electricity. Turns out 380V is Line to line voltage. So voltage relative to neutral is still 220V. For charging power calculation's sake; 220V * 32A * 3 phases = 21kW. Instead in the single phase US power you'd need a ~100A breaker for this if I'm not mistaken.

Again, thank you.

You're welcome, and I am a little jealous of your 32A service, most residential houses in Denmark only have 25A master fuses, så no 22 kW charging for us. :)

You're welcome, and I am a little jealous of your 32A service, most residential houses in Denmark only have 25A master fuses, så no 22 kW charging for us. :)

Haha don't need to be jealous. That's no residential area. It's where I work which happens to be a factory. The main panel of the factory supports up to a mW of power. If only I could dump all that into my battery at once...:tongue: Would fill my 36kWh pack in 130 seconds! haha