Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The front motor is geared at 9.34:1.

It used to be in the owners manual but now it's gone. Strange. It's still listed on Edmunds and other sites:

2015 Tesla Model S P85D Road Test Specs | Edmunds.com

"Final-drive ratio (x:1)9.34 (front); 9.73 (rear)"

I have never seen 9.34 in the manual or in the service catalog. Tesla only list 9.73:1 for both :/

Do you have a copy of the manual when 9.34 was listed?

I have never seen 9.34 in the manual or in the service catalog. Tesla only list 9.73:1 for both :/

Do you have a copy of the manual when 9.34 was listed?

The manual in the MyTesla section has been revised but that's the only place I got that number from. When I found it missing this morning I had to do a search to see if anyone else specially referenced 9.34. I may have a cached copy of the manual at home but I won't be able to check until I get there tomorrow night.

I did start a thread over on the X side trolling for an X owner. Part of the problem is the X likely has one of the new Blue connectors which will require an adventurous owner willing to place discrete sockets over each of the four pins in question. The other part is that there are not enough Xs out there with adventurous owners :)

Update A. The x in xA is the TPSThreshold/switch logging setting. A = 75% tps, B=50%, C=25% and D is switch on/off logging on/off
With this update, Battery Health logging rate is now roughly 13 samples per minute allowing for about 5 hours of logging to the 3 meg data file.
The logger now appears as a 4 meg USB drive which significantly reduces the amount of time virus scanning software takes before it allows the drive to appear as a USB drive when plugged in.

Dropbox - UPDATE_C0000AA.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C0000BA.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C0000CA.EBL
Dropbox - UPDATE_C0000DA.EBL

One of our fellow data loggers had this cable on hand. I've tested it and it is wired correctly to allow the logger to plug in via its OBDii connector. Sourcing this cable might make the logging kit a bit more elegant. Does anyone know where these can be bought?

Attachments

• 2016-03-09 17.23.32.jpg
    2016-03-09 17.23.32.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 87
  • 2016-03-09 17.23.42.jpg
    2016-03-09 17.23.42.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
Last edited:
One of our fellow data loggers had this cable on hand. I've tested it and it is wired correctly to allow the logger to plug in via its OBDii connector. Sourcing this cable might make the logging kit a bit more elegant. Does anyone know where these can be bought?

I posted a detailed pinout of the new blue connector in the "Let the hacking begin" thread, however, I still am not 100% percent on a part# and supplier. I might just have a MX90 in a few months (someone who is near where I live has just ordered his) he is very keen to do logging and help the overall community effort. So if you don't have any luck soon, I'll gladly fill you in with my findings.

As for the cable, there has been some discussion about this on the TM-Spy thread, I personally think (along with Turbo3) that a flat (almost flex) cable is the best solution with the bulky ODB+Dongle end in the cubby.

Below is a pic and link to one on eBay, lots of options at various prices including amazon.

http://r.ebay.com/irwVhX
s-l1600.jpg

Hey Bill. I got the cable as part of the 'myEV' data logger from myCarma - originally an indiegogo campaign. Find the Most Fuel Efficient Car for You | MyCarma I think they made the cables in house to get around the ODB-II problems on the Model S. I checked the site and there's no indication they offer them. I've dropped them an email to see if they'd be interested in making some available.

Caveat emptor: Need to catch up on the tmspy thread so point me to that, or any other specific postings if this is already covered.

I was actually going to use Bill's existing tesla -> rs232, then use a dsub splitter and connect Bill's logger to one and the other wire up a rs232 -> ODBii flat cable -> BT ODB transmitter. The issue I see is the existing connector only reads one CAN bus, i.e. 4 wires, and so was thinking of wiring more off the tesla connector. Is anyone looking at scraping multiple CAN buses simultaneously?

It was in the file "Mikebur 02-21-16-1100.xlsx" under tab 0-90, though to make this easier for you I've pulled this one, and another one I found interesting (higher SoC, though slighter lower batTemp enabling ~1290amps, over longer distance) into one file. This is 4sillydriver in my google drive subfolder. Sounds like you know where this is, though just in case not: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzwKZAn3p2LTeFJpSlp5OUc1X3M
Unfortunately, these were captured before R_RPM was captured.

Good luck and let us know anything else we can do to help. Like the experiment :)

Mike, do you recall: are the 0-100 ludicrous run and the 0-103 pre-upgrade run both on a flat road? Or if not, are they on the same stretch of road with the same grade? I ask so I know whether I need to worry about different grades affecting performance when I compare the two runs. Thanks. Eric

I was testing some code last weekend (prototype dashboard) and from what I can tell, unless under very heavy load, my car stays in front-wheel-drive mode most of the time in range mode. I drove in -20C weather (-5F) at around 55-60mph and it was front motor only.

Very interesting! Thanks.

I wonder if this is a change from last winter, or if my thoughts about how torque sleep was working last winter are just wrong.

Mike, do you recall: are the 0-100 ludicrous run and the 0-103 pre-upgrade run both on a flat road? Or if not, are they on the same stretch of road with the same grade? I ask so I know whether I need to worry about different grades affecting performance when I compare the two runs. Thanks. Eric
They are on same stretch of road, with slight grade down - though one (insane) might be in opposite direction, there were a lot of runs... Best I can remember, sorry. Anything look funky?

In addition, the most recent range mode ones are primarily on what I judged flat, the older range ones were on exact same piece of road.

That help?

The model X owners manual says 9.34 for the front and 9.73 for the rear.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/d...screen_7.1_DAS_AP_North_America_R20160119.pdf

But that's not where I got it from. I posted this ratio 6 months ago long before the X manual was available. This what the S manual used to say.
The ratios are only 4% apart, which seems too close for the reason for the difference to be due to tuning the motors for maximum efficiency at different vehicle speeds. So why are they different? Each motor produces a soft high-pitched whine when the car is moving and particularly when it's accelerating. If the gearing were the same, so the whine from the two motors was very near the same frequency, the two noises would interact producing a much lower frequency 'beat' component that would sound like a throbbing of a few Hertz, probably annoying. The throbbing frequency would change as the cars accelerate, as the torque (and tire slip) of the two motors change, and as the tires wear: also annoying. But with the 4% difference in gearing the beat would be an undertone about five octaves below the blended high-pitched whines, unlikely to be noticeable. If the gearing was the same there might also be an electrical beat across the DC system common to the two alternators/motors, but I'm less sure of this. But I think beat suppression is the reason the motors are geared differently. If the identical-sized motors in the 85D/90D are also geared a little differently, that would be evidence for this theory.

Separately, my modeling project is moving along slowly and methodically. I'm still working on modeling the losses from battery power to motor power. It's easy to fit a curve for a single run, but less easy to develop a model that is consistent with physical causes and that fits all the data everyone has collected under different circumstances, particularly since I don't have enough knowledge of alternator/induction motor systems to develop a model from first principles. I'm making progress though. Phase two will involve modeling the dynamics of the car, which should be more straightforward although I will need to fit rolling resistance and driveline losses empirically.

Last edited:
so what about post sept 2015?

I managed to figure out a pinout for the new 2015 model S/X connector, still working on a source for the shell and pins but I'm away on holiday at the moment, once I get back I think I will be able to get some information together pretty quickly.

For now I hope the pinout helps any adventurous owners who want to do some exploring.

(repost of mine from the wk057 thread)
2015 Tesla Diagnostic Connector pinout (connec ref# X437A)

1 = 12V/5A (F219)
2 = CAN4+ Body Fault
3 = CAN4- Body Fault
6 = K/Serial
9 = CAN2 Body +
10 = CAN2 Body-
13 = CAN6+ Chassis
14 = CAN6 Chassis-
18 = CAN3 Powertrain+
19 = CAN3 Powertrain-
20 = GND