Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cheap 20 inch tires on performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone put cheap tires on their performance? Curious as to the noise and any range loss. I always use cheap tires on everything, but don't want to lose much range and dont want ridiculous noise, but I'm willing to trade off a bit for 100 dollar tires versus 330 a piece.

Prior to my Tesla I used Achilles ATR Sport 2's on my Mazda 6 (225-45R19) and was extremely happy with them. I went through 3 sets of them and got about 45K miles out of each set. I thought they were plenty quiet and had zero issues with their performance in dry or wet conditions. A couple of things to note.

1. They are directional so just front to back rotations
2. They do not have any sort of rim protector molded into the sidewall (neither do my SR+'s stock 18" tires, not sure about the stock 20" tires on the Performance)

Hard to beat $61.61 + tax shipped.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Achilles...182994414?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

Keep in mind that cheaper tires might not be rated for the weight of the Model 3.

You'll pay less up front for tires, but pay more in the long run from replacing them more often.
Weight rating is certainly an issue, but I have the OEM now and they almost done and I got less than 20000 miles so cheaper tires I highly doubt would last less.

You basically negate all the benefits and extra cost of getting the Performance model by putting cheap tires on it.

The worst is that tires are the only thing keeping your car on the road, stopping, turning, accelerating, etc. That is the last thing I personally would cheap out on. Unless all you do are donuts and you want cheap tires to burn them up.

I doubt 95 percent would notice any difference in performance. This sounds like a BMW m thread now. At any rate as I stated, my main concern is noise and range. Are the oem tires giving a lot more range or am I not giving up much range?

In an emergency stop crappy tires would add at least 30 feet to your stopping distance at 60 mph (a lot more distance added at higher speeds).

How much is not hitting something in an emergency worth to you?

In an emergency stop crappy tires would add at least 30 feet to your stopping distance at 60 mph (a lot more distance added at higher speeds).

How much is not hitting something in an emergency worth to you?

A. Not true as cheaper tires have been tested against the expensive ones and the cheaper tires typically do very well, Run flats cost a fortune and suck.
B. Are you saying that the guy who drives the Prius on cheaper tires than these is an accident waiting to happen?

I doubt 95 percent would notice any difference in performance. This sounds like a BMW m thread now. At any rate as I stated, my main concern is noise and range. Are the oem tires giving a lot more range or am I not giving up much range?

I agree with you. Unless people are tracking their cars most wouldn't be able to tell any performance difference btw the vast majority of tires out there. Rarely do people get the opportunity to test tires side by side in an apples to apples comparison. Generally it's a comparison of one's brand new set compared to whatever tire is being replaced that's at the end of it's life; is it really a wonder why most think the new tires ride better.

I've got almost 150K miles of experience with the Achilles ATR Sport 2's on my old car and will not hesitate one second to put them on my SR+ when the times comes. They've been around for a good while so there are plenty of reviews of them being used on Audi S series and BMW M series cars where the owners are very pleased with them.

I agree with you. Unless people are tracking their cars most wouldn't be able to tell any performance difference btw the vast majority of tires out there. Rarely do people get the opportunity to test tires side by side in an apples to apples comparison. Generally it's a comparison of one's brand new set compared to whatever tire is being replaced that's at the end of it's life; is it really a wonder why most think the new tires ride better.

I've got almost 150K miles of experience with the Achilles ATR Sport 2's on my old car and will not hesitate one second to put them on my SR+ when the times comes. They've been around for a good while so there are plenty of reviews of them being used on Audi S series and BMW M series cars where the owners are very pleased with them.

unfortuantely they don't come in the performance size. But I did lose MPG when I switched to other tires on my prius, so I am concerned about losing range, noise as well, but range is my main concern.

Most other tires in this size will give maybe 10 wh/mi better, in exchange for the extra traction.

Its clearly not unsafe, as Prius drive on the road. However downgrading a Model 3 Performance to Prius cornering hurts my soul lol.

Yes and clearly don't want to do that, but if I can get extra range I'm good for that. So basic question remains, has anyone tried other tires, what is experience with range and noise?