Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cheap 20 inch tires on performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes and clearly don't want to do that, but if I can get extra range I'm good for that. So basic question remains, has anyone tried other tires, what is experience with range and noise?
For me, I took mine back off right after my snow trip.

I am a cheapo at heart and intended on burning through them before re-buying the PS4. However when driving windy roads fast, I could feel the limits way lower and it really didn't feel safe especially in the wet. I was probably spoiled by the PS4, YMMV

Weight rating is certainly an issue, but I have the OEM now and they almost done and I got less than 20000 miles so cheaper tires I highly doubt would last less.

for performance tires. 20k isn’t terrible. Especially on a car with this torque and weight. I’m at 27k and still have a few thousand miles left on the tires. I expect to need replacement at 30k.

A. Not true as cheaper tires have been tested against the expensive ones and the cheaper tires typically do very well,

It's absolutely true.

Why do you think the P has a measured stopping distance 30ish feet shorter than the non-P?

The difference is 100% the tires.

The 20s on the P come with performance summer tires- arguably the best street tires on the market.

The 18s come with mediocre all seasons.

Run flats cost a fortune and suck.

Literally nobody suggested run-flats, and the PS4s that come on the 20" P rims are not run flats. This is a non sequitor.

B. Are you saying that the guy who drives the Prius on cheaper tires than these is an accident waiting to happen?

I'm saying his car will take longer to stop in an emergency than if he had stickier tires.

Because that's how physics works.

Doesn't really matter the model of car- tires are the single dumbest thing to cheap out on.

They are literally the only thing between the car and the road to conduct all forces produced by the motors, the brakes, the suspension, etc.

That said- it might be useful for you to define what you mean by "cheap"

You can probably find tires with 90% of the performance for 75% of the cost and a trade like that might be worth doing for you personally depending on other factors..

If you're looking at $50 20" tires you're going to get garbage that is likely to significantly compromise safety.

Last edited:
(moderator note: before this thread flies fully off the rails, I am going to remind everyone that personal attacks are not allowed. if you want to disagree with the premise (putting inexpensive tires on a performance to save money) thats fine, but disagree with the premise, dont attack the person.

FWIW, I personally disagree pretty strongly with the premise, because as stated, tires are the thing that contacts the road, and a prius does not go 0-60 in 3 seconds. With that being said, its the OPs car and their money, so they can do what they want to do with it as long as its legal... and putting on cheap tires is not illegal)

Reactions: pacopico
Umm, no, cars don't require 300 dollar a piece tires to be performance cars. I owned corvettes for 12 years , most of those run on Kumho's and many of the other corvette guys running on the same times. Inexpensive and the performance is there.

I came from 8 years of Corvette ownership (and using them for competitive driving) and let's be real here... 99.9% of Corvette drivers wouldn't know the difference in tires driving between their garage and the local car cruises. And no other Corvettes that I raced with had Kumhos on their car, unless we're talking about the V720 ACR which is the opposite of cheap.

Reactions: kamalik09
It's absolutely true.

Why do you think the P has a measured stopping distance 30ish feet shorter than the non-P?

The difference is 100% the tires.

The 20s on the P come with performance summer tires- arguably the best street tires on the market.

The 18s come with mediocre all seasons.

Literally nobody suggested run-flats, and the PS4s that come on the 20" P rims are not run flats. This is a non sequitor.

I'm saying his car will take longer to stop in an emergency than if he had stickier tires.

Because that's how physics works.

Doesn't really matter the model of car- tires are the single dumbest thing to cheap out on.

They are literally the only thing between the car and the road to conduct all forces produced by the motors, the brakes, the suspension, etc.

That said- it might be useful for you to define what you mean by "cheap"

You can probably find tires with 90% of the performance for 75% of the cost and a trade like that might be worth doing for you personally depending on other factors..

If you're looking at $50 20" tires you're going to get garbage that is likely to significantly compromise safety.

Its more other tires affecting range and noise. But ideally like 150 a tire or less is what I'd prefer to spend.

I came from 8 years of Corvette ownership (and using them for competitive driving) and let's be real here... 99.9% of Corvette drivers wouldn't know the difference in tires driving between their garage and the local car cruises. And no other Corvettes that I raced with had Kumhos on their car, unless we're talking about the V720 ACR which is the opposite of cheap.
ROFL, okay, so can't completely disagree there. :)

• Funny
Reactions: SK360
Easy, the P comes with 'Performance Brakes' which are different than those on the non-P.

Which has 0 impact on stopping distance.

Swap the PS4 tires on the Model 3 with the regular brakes and it stops in the same distance as the P.

Swap MXM4s onto the P and braking suddenly is 30 feet longer like the nonP.

The tires, not the brakes, stop the car.

It's (one of) the reasons it's so important to have good tires.

If you're unclear on why, I HIGHLY recommend this essay by a pretty well known SAE master instructor who designs braking systems for a living for folks like Stoptech, Bosch, GM, and others.

GRM Pulp Friction

He goes into some detail about what each element of a braking system does (and does not) do for you- and why it's the tires that actually determine stopping distance, not the brakes.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
What about something like Michelin A/S 3 or A/S 4 tires that will last longer but still are decent tires?

Going too cheap on tires is like going too cheap on car insurance, ex. getting a liability coverage of 25k/50k instead of decent coverage of 100k/300k.