Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How do you value a used Model Y in current market conditions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, here is what I found:

To qualify for the tax credit as a co-signer on a brand-new EV purchase, the combined annual income of both individuals must be under $300,000, or less than $150,000 individually.

That article seems to mistate what it says on the IRS website: Credits for New Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service

According to irs.gov:

In addition, your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers
The only mention of a $300,000 number refers to married filing jointly. There is no mention of a combined income limitation of each person on the title.

The only mention of a $300,000 number refers to married filing jointly. There is no mention of a combined income limitation of each person on the title.

From the other link, which I admit is not an IRS reference:

To qualify for the tax credit as a co-signer on a brand-new EV purchase, the combined annual income of both individuals must be under $300,000, or less than $150,000 individually.

From the other link, which I admit is not an IRS reference:

Right. What I'm saying is the IRS site doesn't mention the $300K number except in the context of the married filing jointly. I'm saying the non-IRS website is quoting the IRS website incorrectly.

Less than 5% of US households make over $300k. As of next year everyone under the income limit can claim the entire $7500 as a point of sale rebate, whether they have the full $7500 tax liability or not. Not sure that’s a “LOT” of people excluded.

Eh? I’m not sure what you mean by this.
That's for married filers. If you are a single guy, max is $150k.

Before you poke someone, you should always check you have your facts straight first.
Very much agree.

Not sure where you got the 4.6% from. Finger in the air maybe?
Since we're both carelessly citing anonymous statistics, let's go ahead and go with US Census data.

Per this table, 6.84% of individuals in the US reporting at least $1 of income in 2022 made more than $150k. I'll admit that's higher than the first statistic I pulled of 4.6%, which likely includes unemployed and others out of the workforce that the Census data doesn't, but certainly less than your assertion that nearly 9% of Americans make between $150-200k alone. We clearly live in different countries if you believe that's true. 😂

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: carpendj