Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check my math on MYLR purchase and selling a M3LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a MYLR in Jan 2023. With the tax credit and a county rebate of $3,000, my net out the door price will be $49k.

I bought a 2022 M3LR for $62,000 out the door in September 2022.

My plan is to get the MYLR, and then sell the M3LR. I figure even if I sell the M3LR for $50k (a 12k loss on paper), but get a MYLR for $49k (which was what, 65k when I got the 3?), then I am essentially "trading" my model 3 for a model y.

How's it look?

M3LR has 7k miles, like new condition (i mean, mint basically), all glass tinted, roof rack, some other odds and ends. I know none of the extras really "add value" but they make it stand out vs a completely bone stock one.

I ordered a MYLR in Jan 2023. With the tax credit and a county rebate of $3,000, my net out the door price will be $49k.

My plan is to get the MYLR, and then sell the M3LR. I figure even if I sell the M3LR for $50k (a 12k loss on paper), but get a MYLR for $49k (which was what, 65k when I got the 3?), then I am essentially "trading" my model 3 for a model y.

How's it look?

M3LR has 7k miles, like new condition (i mean, mint basically), all glass tinted, roof rack, some other odds and ends. I know none of the extras really "add value" but they make it stand out vs a completely bone stock one.

The problem with your math is, no one is going to give you 50k for that car. Also on a side note, I really (really really reeeeeaaaallllllllyyyy ) dont like anything that resembles "click in here to know more", which is why I changed the thread title.

The problem with your math is, no one is going to give you 50k for that car. Also on a side note, I really (really really reeeeeaaaallllllllyyyy ) dont like anything that resembles "click in here to know more", which is why I changed the thread title.
appreciate that.

yeah... I suppose I am holding my breath that the tax credit goes away in after March and that the M3LR stays unavailable for order. Some people may have a budget of 49-50k and cant squeak that last little bit out for the M3P. maybe

appreciate that.

yeah... I suppose I am holding my breath that the tax credit goes away in after March and that the M3LR stays unavailable for order. Some people may have a budget of 49-50k and cant squeak that last little bit out for the M3P. maybe

Its unavailable to order but pops up occasionally for in stock delivery. By that same math (the math that you are using for a brand new model Y) a brand new model 3 LR would be something like 52,490 - 7500 =44,990. No one is going to give you 50k for a used one. You are probably looking at 40k, not 50k, unless you just want to be unrealistic with your math to justify the model Y purchase to yourself.

Its unavailable to order but pops up occasionally for in stock delivery. By that same math (the math that you are using for a brand new model Y) a brand new model 3 LR would be something like 52,490 - 7500 =44,990. No one is going to give you 50k for a used one. You are probably looking at 40k, not 50k, unless you just want to be unrealistic with your math to justify the model Y purchase to yourself.
What if there is a buyer that feels sorry for me and ALSO hates money?

But also, like I said, if the tax credit qualification ends for Tesla, we are looking back closer to 50k again. Speculative, sure...but I need something to help me sleep at night.

Look I understand being excited about a new Y.

Realistically I think you would be lucky to get 40k. 50k is out of the question. So your looking at a $22,000 loss not just on paper. The tax credit and county rebate would get you $10,500 back but your still eating a loss of $11,500. Your not getting anything off the Y either your paying full price.

Not a good financial decision in my opinion. It's your money though.

What if there is a buyer that feels sorry for me and ALSO hates money?

But also, like I said, if the tax credit qualification ends for Tesla, we are looking back closer to 50k again. Speculative, sure...but I need something to help me sleep at night.
IMHO I would hold on to the 3 a few months. With the Saudis positioning for price hikes and continued big oil record profits aggressive summer gas prices will increase EV demand. Inevitably, Tesla price hikes will also serve to balance supply/demand and thus stabalize the secondary used car market. An arbitrage play...

• Informative
Reactions: buckets0fun

How's it look?

Tesla quoted me an upper limit of $40k for my 2023 M3LR with 1600 Miles. Optimistic to think you can get $50k on your sale.

The bigger question is why do you really want the MYLR? The M3LR is far more fun to drive on a daily basis. It is FAR more efficient. Heck, my MYLR gets far worse efficiency than my refreshed MSLR.

Unless you need extra room every day, I'd say stay with the 3. I don't think I've ever had as much buyer's remorse as when I bought my MYLR. Not to mention the removal of USS on all the new 3/Y's is a big mistake on Tesla's part.

For me the Y was a car that looked much better on paper than it worked out in real life. YMMV of course.

Reactions: SpeedBird23
IMHO I would hold on to the 3 a few months. With the Saudis positioning for price hikes and continued big oil record profits aggressive summer gas prices will increase EV demand. Inevitably, Tesla price hikes will also serve to balance supply/demand and thus stabalize the secondary used car market. An arbitrage play...
That was fast ...... Your position just got better!