Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Check my math - Tesla CO2 footprint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't forget that this early work Tesla is doing will hasten the transition to electric for all road transport.

Thanks to Tesla this transition will occur early than it otherwise would have.

The CO2 savings of moving all cars to electric earlier is almost incalculable.

I wish I could figure out the total energy and CO2 costs of manufacturing my 8kw solar array and coming Tesla. It seems that would be by total lifetime expenditure if I considered them as a complete transportation system with the grid acting as storage for the solar output.

I'm sure I'm going to run into naysayers with ICEs who claim that I'm not really saving anything due to the high upfront energy costs to produce the cells and battery.

You don't have to save CO2 emissions for buying a Tesla to be worthwhile.
Just by supporting the company you are moving everyone toward electric vehicles sooner, so will be saving CO2 in the long run, regardless of your individual contribution.

Reactions: OBX John
Eg. the first Roadsters were nowhere near carbon neutral because of all the work and building that went into creating such a small number of vehicles.
But they enabled the Model S to exist, which will in turn enable the Model 3.
So focusing on one particular car's carbon contribution misses the larger picture.
Having said that, my Model S replaced a car that I used to burn 3,000kg of diesel per year. I'm planning to keep it for about 5 years before selling, so will have left 15,000kg of diesel unburned. Also whoever buys my car second hand will do the same for many more years.

My back-of the envelope calculations based on a power generating fleet chiefly of natural gas, wind and coal (in roughly that order) was I was offsetting some $2,000-8,000 in carbon during 10 year ownership of the car. A side benefit, is that the local Houston industry already puts a bunch of other stuff in the air, so I'm subtracting smog-precursors (ozone), and other smelly fumes.... so my next door neighbors get a little bit out of that.

However, I also knew, going into it, that the car, itself, is a powerful symbol of an upwards facing arc of innovation and the deflationary effect that technology places on the manufacturing (at scale) of the new stuff. In other words, it is a way to tell people, "hey, its coming. And I'm driving the prototype.". So, its as if the car, itself, were a bumper sticker.