Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checking - Gen 3 Wall Charger on 100amp circuit breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted the groups take.

Our new house was built with two 100amp circuit / 100amp breakers for the two EV charger outlets installed. I understand the Gen 3 wall charger supports up to 60 amps? Questions are:

1) Will the wall charger work fine and since assume it will still limit itself to 60amp max use, from the available 100amp circuit?

2) Do we need to have an electrician downgrade and install smaller breakers now for safety precautions?

Thanks!

Another option to consider: install a subpanel at one of the two locations and leave that breaker as 100-amps. You can connect one Wall Connector to the subpanel with a 60-amp breaker, and then add other things to the subpanel such as a 120v 20amp outlet (with a 20-amp breaker). For this to be of real value the builder would have had to run the circuit as 3-wire (hot-hot-neutral-ground).

Reactions: travwill
Yet another option might be to use one of the 100 am circuits for both HPWC's. 80 amps continuous will charge two newer Teslas at full speed. I'm not sure if the Gen3 HPWCs have the load sharing option like mine old HPWC has. If it does not, then the other suggestions above sound good.

Oops. New Teslas have 48 amps continuous charging, so ignore me.

Thanks ya'll for input. Yeah, easiest approach is just to have the builder swap these out to two 60 amps :) Done deal. We'll probably have the wall charger on one, and likely end up with a non-tesla on the other in time - never know so leaving that one as a 14-50 outlet.