Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Wall Chargers with 2 Teslas - Advice Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back to my own personal experience...I think 40A is certainly sufficient. Especially if, as you say, you are going to pretty much keep them plugged in all the time.

My regimen is to only plug in when the range falls below 100 miles (~30%) and charge to 80% (unless preparing for a trip). My current EVSE is only 30A, and that 50% charge usually completes in less than 6 hours.

If you are plugging in every day and replenishing your daily use, 40A charging will only take an hour or two. Definitely don't worry about "losing" the additional 8A unless your daily needs are extreme.
Exactly - and we both work from home full time so we do not bring the cars down low very often. Most charges are topping off from 60% or higher to 80%.

Reactions: APotatoGod
The fool-proof and safe thing to do is to set the switches in the two wall chargers to limit the current to 40A each. Then you don't have to worry about whether or not the cars are set properly. 40A charging is sufficient for nearly any circumstance, and presumably you could at least get enough charge to make it to the nearest supercharger in the event of an emergency that didn't permit you to fully charge at home.

Alternatively, if you have one vehicle you'd always like to charge as quickly as possible, set its HPWC switch to a max of 48A and the second HPWC to 32A. This is most likely what I'd do if I were in your situation, as it is a good compromise between safe/cheap/quick and spending an extra $500 to upgrade your current gen2 unit to a gen3 one that can communicate with your second gen3 HPWC allowing for either car to charge at up to 48A, sharing the full 80A potential.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
The fool-proof and safe thing to do is to set the switches in the two wall chargers to limit the current to 40A each. Then you don't have to worry about whether or not the cars are set properly. 40A charging is sufficient for nearly any circumstance, and presumably you could at least get enough charge to make it to the nearest supercharger in the event of an emergency that didn't permit you to fully charge at home.
This is the plan. I can't imagine a situation where I would want to add 8amps to get a handful more miles per hour. Setting the rotary switches to 40amp max is like lowering the temperature on the hot water heater so the kids dont burn themselves haha.

Here is a suggestion for cable management at the Tesla Wall Connector. This item is available front Tractor Supply. I had to order it online to the store for free shipping.

I just zip tied the WC cable to the boom. I haven't had the time to research opening the WC and disconnecting the charger cable to run it through the boom. The boom is more than big enough for the cable.

BTW, I set the car charge rate to 24 amps to run the charge a bit cooler. At 48 amps charge rate the charge cable feels slightly warm, just slightly, and the ants really like it. There is no heat @ 24 amps and no ants.

-stew

Attachments

• 20230105_152356.jpg
    20230105_152356.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230105_152337.jpg
    20230105_152337.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230105_152324.jpg
    20230105_152324.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20230105_152251.jpg