Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checking - Gen 3 Wall Charger on 100amp circuit breaker?

travwill

May 1, 2015
Marble Falls, TX
Wanted the groups take.

Our new house was built with two 100amp circuit / 100amp breakers for the two EV charger outlets installed. I understand the Gen 3 wall charger supports up to 60 amps? Questions are:

1) Will the wall charger work fine and since assume it will still limit itself to 60amp max use, from the available 100amp circuit?

2) Do we need to have an electrician downgrade and install smaller breakers now for safety precautions?

Thanks!

travwill

May 1, 2015
Marble Falls, TX
I would replace the 100-amp breakers with 60-amps. The purpose of a breaker is to protect in overload situation, with a 100-amp breaker if there is problem with the charger it can overload the internal components and start a fire.
Thanks, yeah that was what I was thinking needs to change for safety. Will definitely downgrade those two breakers.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Another option to consider: install a subpanel at one of the two locations and leave that breaker as 100-amps. You can connect one Wall Connector to the subpanel with a 60-amp breaker, and then add other things to the subpanel such as a 120v 20amp outlet (with a 20-amp breaker). For this to be of real value the builder would have had to run the circuit as 3-wire (hot-hot-neutral-ground).

Reactions: travwill

MN-MS100D

Dec 10, 2018
Minnesota
Yet another option might be to use one of the 100 am circuits for both HPWC's. 80 amps continuous will charge two newer Teslas at full speed. I'm not sure if the Gen3 HPWCs have the load sharing option like mine old HPWC has. If it does not, then the other suggestions above sound good.

Oops. New Teslas have 48 amps continuous charging, so ignore me.

travwill

May 1, 2015
Marble Falls, TX
Thanks ya'll for input. Yeah, easiest approach is just to have the builder swap these out to two 60 amps :) Done deal. We'll probably have the wall charger on one, and likely end up with a non-tesla on the other in time - never know so leaving that one as a 14-50 outlet.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC