Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Checkout this ripped front LCA bushing at 22k miles off my friend's SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I can't believe how crappy these bushings are. I've pulled so many of these out of LCA's it's not even funny. So grateful @MountainPass has produced such a great solution. Kudos Sasha, but like you need to be told lol!!!!!! I love everything about them. I have seen so many failures that I just tell people to take delivery at the factory and drive it down the street so I can swap these out right away. The last thing you want is to find out your LCA falls out or the bushing tears out completely while you're driving. One of our East Bay Club founders at that exact thing happen to him on the Bay Bridge. That was scary to hear. Anyways, just a public safety announcement. This is an image of our friend's bushing at 22k miles and on a SR+ nonetheless.

1632887543229.png

1632887564434.png

unlikely. It's a wear item.
A control arm bushing is a wear item at 20k miles?
Telling everyone with a Model 3 or Y that they need to spend $700 on a single bushing right when they get a car because the factory ones are dangerous seems kind of extreme.

Contact NHTSA and try and start a recall if you really have a bunch of cars with failed ones.

Reactions: jkeyser14
A control arm bushing is a wear item at 20k miles?
Telling everyone with a Model 3 or Y that they need to spend $700 on a single bushing right when they get a car because the factory ones are dangerous seems kind of extreme.

Contact NHTSA and try and start a recall if you really have a bunch of cars with failed ones.
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just dictating the excuse that Tesla will probably make. I was gonna upgrade my anyway so it's a moot point for me. I'm sure you know how receptive Tesla is to accepting the blame for anything. Something as simple as fixing panel gaps and other odd noises is difficult enough for them. Their TSB for the FUCA was to add "caulking or butyl" to it as a sealant to protect moisture from getting through fractures into the ball joint or something.

Well I can't believe how crappy these bushings are. I've pulled so many of these out of LCA's it's not even funny. So grateful @MountainPass has produced such a great solution. Kudos Sasha, but like you need to be told lol!!!!!! I love everything about them. I have seen so many failures that I just tell people to take delivery at the factory and drive it down the street so I can swap these out right away. The last thing you want is to find out your LCA falls out or the bushing tears out completely while you're driving. One of our East Bay Club founders at that exact thing happen to him on the Bay Bridge. That was scary to hear. Anyways, just a public safety announcement. This is an image of our friend's bushing at 22k miles and on a SR+ nonetheless.

View attachment 715667
View attachment 715668

When they fail it's not dangerous. I had both lower compression arm bushings completely ripped and separated, and then that caused one of the control arm bushings to fail within a week.

The only thing that happened was the front end was spongey when diving into a corner hard.

When they fail it's not dangerous. I had both lower compression arm bushings completely ripped and separated, and then that caused one of the control arm bushings to fail within a week.

The only thing that happened was the front end was spongey when diving into a corner hard.
The bolts tend to wiggle loose over time as well so it's a good idea to have them checked and torqued.

The bolts tend to wiggle loose over time as well so it's a good idea to have them checked and torqued.

That's a 50 cent fix. Check the bolts and then put a line of torque seal on them (I do this to all the suspension and brake bolts as soon as I get a car anyway). Problem solved.

I'm not knocking their product at all, it appears to be a fantastic one. Heck, even just their CA inserts made a big difference on my last car. But, it's just not something that needs to be done unless you're pushing past the limits of the stock components...and it's definitely not dangerous if one of the oem bushings tear.

Last edited: