Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago in Talks to Hire Musk’s Boring Company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chicago officials may tap Elon Musk’s The Boring Company to build speedy rail service between O’Hare International Airport and the Chicago Loop business district, according to a report from Crain’s.

“We’re going to try to see if they can make it work here,” deputy mayor Steve Koch said in the report. “It depends on the cost, but I’m as intrigued as I’ve been (with anything) for a while.”

Koch reportedly met with Musk in Los Angeles, a city that has also shown interest in The Boring Company’s efforts. An underground tunnel system there would stretch from Los Angeles International Airport to the city of Santa Monica.

Last edited by a moderator:
What has Musk's Boring Co. that other tunneling companies don't have? And how is Musk's specific system going to alleviate congestion?

The-Boring-Company-Tunnels-889x422-657x360.jpg

Last edited:
Illinois is broke. They can't afford to hire the Boring Comp.
That's true. However...The Boring Company could do this as a proof of concept so other Major cities can see that it actually works before spending their own money in building out similar projects.

Man I hope they do really pull through on this. That would be freakin awesome. Then maybe they can fix the crappy L Train in the city with a Hyperloop instead or something.

That's true. However...The Boring Company could do this as a proof of concept so other Major cities can see that it actually works before spending their own money in building out similar projects.

Man I hope they do really pull through on this. That would be freakin awesome. Then maybe they can fix the crappy L Train in the city with a Hyperloop instead or something.

Well, you could call it a developmental implementation. Kind of like most companies' electric cars. :p

At the moment it's just an idea with a few people working on it. But it would be great for them to get a real price target, along with a permit: "If you can build it for $x, start tunneling."

What has Musk's Boring Co. that other tunneling companies don't have? And how is Musk's specific system going to alleviate congestion?

Faster boring and the "sleds". The idea being that you load cars onto the sleds, which are electric, bypassing surface traffic. Since it's point to point, you don't have all of the problems with merging, idiot drivers, etc and they can go much faster. Also weather-proof, big deal in Chitown.