Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill, Average or Assertive? Which did you pick and why?

Which FSD mode are you sticking with?

• Chill

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Average

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Assertive

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a first time FSDer, I'm inclined to stick with Average out the gate until I get comfortable.

However, wondering what the more experienced folks here are choosing for their preferred mode?

Probably interesting to hear what region you live in as well, as I imagine that may play heavily into your chose of mode.

I've been in it since 10.2. It's been too aggressive in some situations, and too timid in others, so I've just left it set to "average" while the wrinkles get ironed out and it's more consistent. Although I must say from a couple 10.5 drives, the rocketing out of a right turn onto a bigger street has been tamed and seems much better now.

Reactions: jpfive
I like Chill, but I use the energy pedal to help it along quite often. Also, when a corner or portion of the road is coming up that I know is rough for FSD 10.5.. I take over and handle it then put it right back in.

I have two turns on the way to work that the FSD system is just terrible at, and I don't put up with its antics. It starts quivering and shaking like a leaf in a violent storm. Just goofy

Also, if someone is around me - I don't let off hovering over the energy pedal to prevent phantom breaking. Honestly, it seems from 10.4 to 10.5 it's not as jacked-up jump scared of 18-wheelers any longer. We'll see, going to be cautious until it really proves me different

Also, I find that the breaking is just way too late. The first car I owned was a '67 VW bus, I like to NEVER touch brakes (coasting through avenues is a pleasure) .. and so I often drop FSD coming to red lights, especially if I see it far before FSD starts to react. I've written them about the abrupt stopping FSD does, versus using Hold mode to gradually come to a smooth stop

Oh my, I think I can go on and on. Chill with energy pedal assistance, that's my summary!

• Informative
Reactions: Massive Attack
Average with 10.4 for basically the same reason as the OP. But honestly, I find it too timid at intersections (always holding up the person behind me. I am going to try out Aggressive on 10.5 at least for awhile.

Suburbs of Raleigh / Durham.

I switched to "Assertive" soon after I commented above. Anecdotally, it hasn't felt any different. Anyone noticed a difference in their (pseudo) A/B testing of the 3?
I really haven't noticed any difference after switching to Assertive. It still seems to wait fooooorrrrreeeeevvvvveeeer at intersections before going (unless I put my foot on the accelerator to nudge it along).

• Informative
Reactions: TresLA and hellocar