Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chip in my Glass/sun roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys
I’m located in Houston and yesterday I found out that I’ve a chip on the sun roof part, right above drivers head on my Model3. I’ve a full insurance coverage on my Model 3.

1. Is this covered under Tesla warranty?
2. Is Tesla the only place where they will fix it?
3.My first available appointment that I got with them is 8/10.
4. How much is to replace the glass panel on a Model3?

Sorry to hear, a very common issue on these cars. All the answers to your questions can be found on the forum already in multiple threads.

1. Most likely not (or they will do all they can to lead to that conclusion, citing impact damage, wear/tear, etc).

2. Not anymore. See youtube videos and Safelite as well as independent Tesla referred shop experience threads on here. But you are still likely better off using an SC to get it done. However, there is always a chance they damage something else in the process or do not seat your glass panel evenly, crack or chip it on install.

3. Great! Lucky you, thats considered soon/fast/responsive.

4. Depends which one... there are three large panels on this car, plus the side windows. Both the top sections and the windshield are rather expensive (but your insurance will cover it AFTER the fact). Budget at least $1K.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I had a chip in a similar spot. Lasted about 6 months, but finally formed into about an 8" long crack last month.
I had it replaced by Tesla SC. $825 in parts and $292.50 for labor.

Kind of bummed that I've lost the cool purple / orange reflection when wet in the new glass. The heat rejection seems slightly better though.