TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Choose your Tesla Destiny

Discussion in 'Model X' started by xKRSx, Sep 3, 2018.

?

2 months new Model X was front ended ~$8000 in damage (not at fault). What would you do?

1. Have the body shop repair the car to its original condition, keep the X, and seek diminished value

80.0%
  2. Repair, obtain diminished value check, and trade it in for a new X

8.0%
  3. Repair, obtain diminished value check, and trade it in for a Model 3 or S

12.0%
  1. xKRSx

xKRSx Member

Our 2 months new Tesla Model X was parked at work and hit by a big rig. There is an estimate of about $8k in damage (cosmetic damage primarily replacing front bumper, hood, fenders). The schedule shows that we will be without the X for about 1 month. The X had previously been great for the most part on 2 longer road trips with the family (wife, 2 kids, and mother in law) and for weekend family errands. For some background info on this post and the poll, I generally prefer smaller cars for my work commute and so the X was intended to be the family car (mini van replacement) and for my wife for her longer commute since she also prefers bigger cars. My wife is generally worried to drive the X though in fear of messing it up and rarely drove it unless I really pushed her to just drive it and yet she still only drove it once a week to work at most. I was fine driving it to work because it’s a great relaxing ride but still wished she would drive it more so she would have possibly a less stressful commute. To try and jump to the point of this post and the poll, we are just looking to hear what some of you would do in our situation. With the unfortunate accident, part of the thinking is maybe this is an opportunity to reset our Tesla decision and destiny. A diminished value check and the Fed and state tax credits may provide an opportunity to trade in the repaired X to a new X or a model S/3.

Attached Files:

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Bummer sorry to see/hear this ...based on ur use case a 3 will be good car ...not sure if your wife likes the X because it sits higher but the S is a bigger car however for ease of driving the 3 is the best

• Like x 1
  3. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

Wow, another reason to hate truck drivers.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

My wife won't touch the X. She is afraid to be near it, let alone drive it. Totally sucks. In fact, she crashed her side mirror into our garage backing out today because she said she felt she needed to stay as far away from the X as possible :rolleyes:

Now I have to deal with an insurance claim on a totally destroyed side mirror on my wife's car. I totally get where you're coming from. I wish she'd just love the car and let go. She won't even take the car out in the evening when she's going out alone and I'm home w/ the kids.

If you intended the car to be hers and you don't really care to keep it, get rid of it. I would take an S over a 3 personally, but I just don't like the look of the 3's interior. I think the exterior is pretty slick, except for the hub caps and the door handles.

I personally like the X more than the other cars, so I would keep it because I enjoy it. It's performant enough to scratch my itch but fat and heavy enough to keep me honest around city streets. If I wanted to have more fun than that, I'd take a miata to a track or something.

• Like x 2
  5. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

I get it. I m taking my wife to test drive a Model 3 tomorrow.

6. xKRSx

xKRSx Member

Wow sorry to hear about that side mirror. That’s the same situation in our garage too where she parks as far away from the X as possible.

7. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

My wife insists on driving the x since it’s her car, but it’s my job to squeeze it into the garage (1” clearance for mirrors and front)
    Same with our model 3, my job to put it in between our Jeep rubicon and her x.

• Like x 1
  8. dethman

dethman Member

sounds like you would benefit from going to a smaller car, but even with dimished value, how much of a hit are you going to take with depreciation and sales tax on a 2 mo old car?

9. TexasRat

TexasRat Member

Not to mention, how much diminished value are you really going to get out of it? Even if you sue and win, they'd have to pay out. It terrifies me that they're basically going to just make you lose a 5 figure loss on your car w/out giving you a cent. That being said, if you got hit by a truck from a company, maybe it'll be easier to work with them.

Good luck, though. I really hope it works out the best for you! Please keep us updated how things progress.

• Like x 1
  10. xKRSx

xKRSx Member

Originally on another forum another poster had shared that they had similar looking damage with a similar initial damage cost estimate as what I had of $10,000. He ended up having his final costs end up as $40,000 in damage (with supplements?) covered by insurance and his diminished value check ended up being $18,000. In my case though, the actual damage costs were updated from the initial estimate of $10,000 down to $7850 with cosmetic damage only so i'm guessing i'll be nowhere near what the other guy got...maybe $2000-$4000 but i don't know yet until i go through the process. Was hoping that the diminished value check (if it were more), federal tax credit ($7500), and the state tax credit ($2500) would have covered the depreciation and sales tax but now its looking like it probably will not. Might have to just force her to drive the X when we get it back...