Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Choosing new or remanufactured battery pack.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I very nearly had an identical issue. I hit a rock with 102k miles on the car. With a $1k deductible insurance approved Tesla's estimate and a replacement battery was installed.

Frankly, I fully expected a new battery replacement. But I found out only after the install that Tesla replaced it with a remanufactured battery. And for the real kicker, the newly installed remanufactured replacement battery showed an 11% degradation from a new battery!

I was shocked. I called Tesla. They explained that yes, it was a remanufactured battery they used (they did not tell me beforehand). And that it was "their policy" to replace a damaged battery with a battery that delivered an equivalent amount of charge. I was floored. I most certainly would have chosen a new battery regardless of the cost. But because I found all this out only afterward I was left with very little recall.

The total cost of the repair was $11,333.80. It was $9,923.80 in parts, $1,410 in labor. The battery p/n was listed as "ASY,HVBAT,75KWH,AWD-RWD,1PH,RMN(1137375-01-K) for $9,000. I now learn the RMN in the part number refers to "remanufactured".

I have Tesla's repair invoice if interested.

The question I'd be interested in in a scenario such as this (and perhaps the OP's, as well) is how Tesla determines the degradation level of the old battery if the car electronics (specifically the charging system and the BMS) are non-functional?

Wouldn't shock me if they throw a dart and "estimate" old battery degradation based upon its age. In any case, count me among those who think Tesla ought to provide the option of a new pack for those willing to pay for it.

Reactions: hohensee and Kimmi
The question I'd be interested in in a scenario such as this (and perhaps the OP's, as well) is how Tesla determines the degradation level of the old battery if the car electronics (specifically the charging system and the BMS) are non-functional?

Wouldn't shock me if they throw a dart and "estimate" old battery degradation based upon its age. In any case, count me among those who think Tesla ought to provide the option of a new pack for those willing to pay for it.

Perhaps they measure the degradation of individual cells taken from the pack?

Perhaps the more interesting question is whether a replacement battery is ever a different type due to the original type being obsoleted.

Reactions: Regaj
IMG_20230918_064153.jpg
IMG_20230918_064153.jpg

How did it compare in capacity to the battery it replaced (before it needed to be replaced)?

I.e. did the replacement battery restore your car's battery capacity to at least as good as it was before hitting the rock?
The replacement remanufactured battery delivered the same full battery range as the damaged battery it replaced. The damaged battery before replacement was degraded by 11%. The replacement was degraded by 11%.

Really not looking forward to refurbished battery

The good news is that it'll be better than what you have. And seems that Tesla will attempt to match to where you were (hopefully matched to before any precipitous drops in capacity prior to throwing the warnings). So not really that big a deal, I'd worry more about them having to disassemble the entire interior and being able to put it back together perfectly (certainly possible, and not difficult, it's just bolts and harnesses, but still...) .

Reactions: Hiline