Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome and Firefox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Plugoo

Jul 13, 2009
It came to my attention that if you’re using explorer than in Google page Chrome advertisement appears. But if you’re using Firefox, no advertisement. Is Google supporting Firefox and open source? If so, why have they developed Google Chrome?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right about the main Google page ... but in Youtube I do see the advertisement for Chrome despite using Firefox. I think Google supports open source, and they do have an agreement with Firefox to be their default search engine - but of course they would prefer you use their own Chrome browser. However Chrome hasn't really caught on, because most of those who would consider switching browsers have already switched to Firefox which IMHO is better than Chrome.

My primary browser history is Netscape Communicator, Mozilla, and finally Firefox.
As I did webdesign and webprogramming earlier I've got several version of IE and Opera as well on my machines. Never actually tried Chrome, as Firefox does what I want. Might try it out sometime :)

Cobos

google Chrome is the best browser, when i first downloaded it, my internet was running at a lighting speed, i even checked my speed and it was normal too, hitherto i used firefox which chocked my browsing capabilities .
But the only one advantage with firefox is that it has more add ons, which makes things much easier

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so I'm giving Chrome a second try after some major slow downs recently using FF...but what do you guys do to block all the dang ads? I use ABP on FF along with "No Scripts" and never see all these annoying ads and pop-ups. Any add ons for Chrome to rid myself of that crap and prevent spy-ware/mal-ware?

efusco,

I'm far from the best guy for computer advice, but nobody else seems to be stepping up. All kinds of hardware and software combinations exist, so general advice always has limits.

Adware and malware can eventually shut you down. If you have a browser that prevents them, it's probably unwise to change to one that doesn't.

Some sort of anti-virus software is not a bad idea. I'm clueless about the choices. I'm prejudiced against McAfee, but without any supporting evidence. I use free AVG because it's the first one I stumbled onto. I don't know enough to recommend or disparage it.

Google has a good reputation for effective pop-up blockers. Some programs require disabling the pop-up blocker. Chrome has severely annoyed a lot of users by making it difficult to figure out how to do so. To enable or disable, this will probably work:

Click on the wrench icon in the upper right hand corner.
Select Options; Under the hood; Change proxy settings; Privacy; then check or uncheck Turn on pop-up blocker.

You probably noticed that you can enable / disable cookies along the way. Contributing to this site required me to enable cookies, which would have been helpful to have been made aware of.

For computer problems in general, I use Google advanced search, searching for the text of error messages, or using any other way I can manage to describe the problem I'm having. I don't have any expertise or knowledge in the field to fall back on.

Now you know as much as I do about this stuff. Good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to try to address my question. Unfortunately it doesn't really get to the meat of my concerns. While popups are an intrusive annoyance, they're rarely harmful. I'm more concerned about the unseen spy and malware that NoScripts blocks in FF and the banner and drop-down ads that AdBlock Plus stops in FF.

I did some independent searching and found that if one is willing to install a development version of Chrome and then install a few strings of programming that it is possible to have an ad blocker of sorts. But then you're back to stability issues in a pre-release version and the necessity of either sticking with this old unstable version or going to a new stable version sans the ad block.

I have to say, I've been using the Chrome for ~24 hours and it seems to be faster and more stable than FF and moving bookmarks and passwords was a breeze...but I wonder what price I'll be paying later if I continue to use it and have all this junk installed in the background.:frown:

efusco,

Sorry, I'm way over my head on this subject; I don't know what a lot of the words mean, and I don't even slightly understand the humor in the videos.

What do I do? I haven't had any trouble with banners, unwanted ads, etc. with Chrome. I'm very careful about sites I visit, prompts I respond to, and files I run. I use free AVG, and free CCleaner every day. That might not work for anyone else or continue to work for me.

Anyway, thanks for your reply; it let me understand the dangers a little better. You should wish me luck instead of the other way around. :smile:
NP, you should try FF with Ad Block Plus just for grins, if you really want extra security install No Script (but it can be very annoying as it's very aggressive in blocking any potentially dangerous scripts). But surfing without seeing all the ads is a pleasure. That said, surfing with a stable fast browser is a pleasure too and I'm finding myself using Chrome for the past 3 days b/c of that.

I'm on a brand new laptop w/ Windows 7 right now, I haven't yet installed a anti-spy/malware program, when I do I should have a pretty good idea of how much bad stuff Chrome is letting through. If it looks like a lot I'll go back to FF which has been very protective, if not too much I may stick with Chrome.

One thing I'll really miss w/FF is the X-marks add-on...it allows you to share all your bookmarks on any computer using FF. When you have as many things bookmarked as I do that's a big deal, esp. when going to a new computer. I haven't heard of anything equivalent on Chrome.