Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Delete Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We use a sort of "shingle" method to wrapping the mirror bases. A slight overlap/seam is common. When we do a chrome delete, we want it to look complete...even the bottom. lol. That seam is barely noticeable. The plastic parts of the chrome have their own seams from the plastic molds already.

Where is the seam? On the leading edge of the mirror base? I'm no expert but I would think that wind would eventually lift this seam.

I paid a reputable shop to do mine. Took them 1 day for the chrome delete, and interior trim (dash, console) wrap. Its more important to me that it look professional and "like its supposed to be that way", rather than save a few hundred bucks trying to do it myself.

Totally worth it to pay someone, in my opinion, as long as you find someone that knows what they are doing.

Yeah. Not sure what costs are like where you live. I already spent $3k for a bumper, hood, fenders, and rocker panel clear film. I would not attempt to do that big of a job (especially without a helper) but the chrome delete seems doable and it you mess up it's easy and cheap to just remove and restart.

Yeah. Not sure what costs are like where you live. I already spent $3k for a bumper, hood, fenders, and rocker panel clear film. I would not attempt to do that big of a job (especially without a helper) but the chrome delete seems doable and it you mess up it's easy and cheap to just remove and restart.

I paid ~800 for:

Chrome delete window trim, door handles, exterior tesla logos and around external mirrors in matt black (the chrome part under the mirror caps)
Dry carbon fiber look wrap on mirror caps themselves, and also around where the "rear diffuser" would be on an ICE car
matching dry carbon fiber wrap on wood trim dash, and console.

It came out really well, and I was happy with it. I want to get ceramic coating next but am waiting for my spoiler first (and just spent 2k I wasnt planning on spending on FSD). only mentioning the spend on FSD as it was money I was going to spend on ceramic coating and or a partial clearbra wrap.

Where is the seam? On the leading edge of the mirror base? I'm no expert but I would think that wind would eventually lift this seam.
if it's done right, it shouldn't lift. I hide my seams out of the line of sight. hard to describe without pics. I have done the deletes both ways, completely removing the mirror (base and all) and now I remove the main part of the mirror but i don't detach the base. The finished product looks great still and I dont have to worry about breaking tabs or clips.

if it's done right, it shouldn't lift. I hide my seams out of the line of sight. hard to describe without pics. I have done the deletes both ways, completely removing the mirror (base and all) and now I remove the main part of the mirror but i don't detach the base. The finished product looks great still and I dont have to worry about breaking tabs or clips.

Thanks. And how do you get around the problem of where the mirror swivels on the base? Do you put tape down there or leave it uncovered?

If you stick to standard gloss, matte, or satin black you shouldn't have any rubbing or pealing issues. The material is very thin. I did a chrome delete on a model S with a thicker carbon fiber material once and it was too thick and did rub. So, for that small area we did the satin black. leaving it uncovered would've looked awful

Ok I am almost done with the mirror chrome delete, I completely removed and disassembled the mirror pretty straight forward like the first video just be careful with the chrome tabs and its not too bad just tedious work. It looks good mirrors fold and unfolded as all three chrome pieces are each a single piece of film.

Also the rotating off of the mirror isn't nearly as hard as it seems in the video with the model s

Lots of chrome delete options out there - just curious if any other DIYers have attempted more of this 3-piece ‘complete’ method on their 3s with mirror detachment. May attempt tonight!

Update: I went ahead and performed the mirror detachment (yes, had to dig deep for a moment) as a test run and...

...huge success and sighs of relief! The process of actually detaching (and re-attaching) the mirror from the L-arm was surprisingly smooth and dare I say easy thus revealing the flattened top part of the L-arm and way better guestimates for my continued DIY. I’m not sure why people wouldn’t try this method more as long as they have proper trim removal tools. I’ll document this better in another thread, but check out the pics attached. I’m now extremely confident I can get the job done in at least 3 separate pieces of vinyl wrap while the mirror remains on the car. A top L-atm, bottom L-arm and base of the mirror popped off, thus (should now be) providing the cleanest seam lines in mirror chrome deletes.

I’ll complete the actual install this week and in another thread. Ran out of time as the wife called in an errand. I went with gloss black on my MSM. :cool:

Attachments

• 6E030840-4F53-47D0-AF77-FDDCF528AEA0.jpeg
    6E030840-4F53-47D0-AF77-FDDCF528AEA0.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 7A485CB1-6A73-4CBB-BCC5-3D10AEC3ECCC.jpeg
    7A485CB1-6A73-4CBB-BCC5-3D10AEC3ECCC.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 1A678BC6-CA07-48E4-A096-B507D33BBAFC.jpeg
    1A678BC6-CA07-48E4-A096-B507D33BBAFC.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 0449F772-C0CC-445E-853B-7150D9E90029.jpeg
    0449F772-C0CC-445E-853B-7150D9E90029.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 84
  • 274920EB-9C2B-43BB-9609-617C3B7EEB08.jpeg
    274920EB-9C2B-43BB-9609-617C3B7EEB08.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 89
Update: I went ahead and performed the mirror detachment (yes, had to dig deep for a moment) as a test run and...

...huge success and sighs of relief! The process of actually detaching (and re-attaching) the mirror from the L-arm was surprisingly smooth and dare I say easy thus revealing the flattened top part of the L-arm and way better guestimates for my continued DIY. I’m not sure why people wouldn’t try this method more as long as they have proper trim removal tools. I’ll document this better in another thread, but check out the pics attached. I’m now extremely confident I can get the job done in at least 3 separate pieces of vinyl wrap while the mirror remains on the car. A top L-atm, bottom L-arm and base of the mirror popped off, thus (should now be) providing the cleanest seam lines in mirror chrome deletes.

I’ll complete the actual install this week and in another thread. Ran out of time as the wife called in an errand. I went with gloss black on my MSM. :cool:

Once you remove the cover it'll be more difficult to wrap since there's no base to hold the mirror steady.

Once you remove the cover it'll be more difficult to wrap since there's no base to hold the mirror steady.

So the mirror's chrome BASE cover itself will be easy (the part that @slade037) since I'll do those indoors. Removing that base grants me more access to the lower L-arm and the newly lifted up mirror itself provides almost an inch of space to slide a whole triangle template underneath the mirror which will end up covering the entire top half with cuts at the natural seam line - the only actual cut would be one that allows the triangle flap to slide past the mirror-motor mount (the part not ever seen anyway since the housing will keep it completely dark and covered.

I'm thinking to attack the base cover first, lower L-arm second, and be more generous with the upper L-arm since it could wrap around the vertical edges a bit longer... hypothetical plan anyway til tonight!