TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Chronicling Tesla's history

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by vfx, Feb 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Within a year or so someone will be writing the first book about Tesla and the Roadster. A Google search finds more and more repetitive info on the subject. Tesla's own site picks and chooses what image will sell cars -nothing wrong with that and Darryl's sites are alway exciting "insiders views".

But perhaps Teslamotorsclub can act as a place to reference significant news clips.

Maybe a page labeled HISTORY.

Two contenders

Darryl's debt,

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1962492684126574949&hl=en

And this one reminds us of the rarely mentioned T-Zero part in the Tesla's origin:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/08/09/MNGSSKDMBT1.DTL

A DVD would be great as well.

e

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Some footnote in the Tesla history should include mention (not only of the TZero) but the Zytek Elise, perhaps Lotus' first effort working with someone to put battery power to the Elise chassis.

eliseins.jpg
    elise.jpg
    f223t.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zytek_Lotus_Elise

From Popular Science July 1997, page 37
    "The Silent Supercar
    Is a low-volume electric supercar on the horizon? Yes, if there's sufficient demand for the car, says U.K.-based Zytek Automotive Ltd., which has developed an attention-grabbing electric Lotus Elise prototype with support from Group Lotus Ltd. Both gas and electric versions of the Elise boast a featherweight 155-pound extruded aluminum space frame and lightweight composite body shell. Curb weight is just 1,930 pounds, including batteries -- a full 1,000 pounds lighter than GM's EV1. Its supercar-like acceleration is estimated at 0 to 90 mph in just 11.2 seconds, quicker than the standard Elise. A 300-volt nickel-cadmium battery pack is said to offer a 120-mile driving range and a one-hour recharge to 95 percent. Top speed is electronically limited to 90 mph. The impressive power is provided by twin 100-horsepower (75-kilowatt) oil-cooled Zytek brushless DC motors, each mounted to single-speed aluminum gearboxes that transmit power to the rear wheels via equal -length driveshafts.
    "

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Pre mid 2006 there were EV rumors flying of an amazing new Electric Sports car made from a Lotus or some such. All internet searches kept turning up the Zytek Elise.

It was not from Tesla Motors who just had a single page with an image on their site of a sheet covered car and the Zytek was 9 years old.

It sounded great but I wonder why they just made the one ---or was there more?

4. CEOswife

CEOswife Member

Just remember, I will be watching!

5. CEOswife

CEOswife Member

TEG, I just meant that I will be correcting anything I feel is misinformation.

6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

7. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#7 malcolm, Aug 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2007
    Just thinking through the fact that a big part of Tesla's (hopefully continued) success is down to managing change as well as innovation. The written history of the company will have to put Tesla's business approach into some sort of context.

The comparison with Apple is an easy (though not necessarily correct) one to make simply because Elon cited them as a possible inhluence on their dealership plans.

Should have been clearer in my original post.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

9. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

This is an interesting talk. It's just extremely frustrating that who ever recorded it keeps the camera unnecessarily on Martin the whole time and we never get to see the cool vids and slides he refers to.

10. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Members of the "Motor Press Guild" can download a PDF of the presentation from here.

11. doug

A lot of good that does me. Any chance Tesla can make that presentation available to their fans?

12. X-CEOsWife

X-CEOsWife Member

I have asked Martin to make the slides available. I reminded him again today. They are quite interesting.

13. doug

Thanks. I'm sure we'd all appreciate it!

14. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

15. danny

danny Administrator

16. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

For those that haven't noticed, Martin eventually did release the slideshow here!

This is perhaps the best document to date for outsiders to see the history.