Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Circuit breaker suddenly tripping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been using my HPWC for my 2017 S90 D for 3 years now. Car is now at 106k miles and my circuit breaker started tripping when charging at home. I typically charge at 72 amps on a 100 amp circuit. Could the car be at fault or are the circuit breakers likely bad? Any other ideas? I used a Tesla certified electrician years ago for the install. This is the first problem I’ve had charging at home except the very rare need to hit the reset button on the HPWC.

Thanks!

I’ve been using my HPWC for my 2017 S90 D for 3 years now. Car is now at 106k miles and my circuit breaker started tripping when charging at home. I typically charge at 72 amps on a 100 amp circuit. Could the car be at fault or are the circuit breakers likely bad? Any other ideas? I used a Tesla certified electrician years ago for the install. This is the first problem I’ve had charging at home except the very rare need to hit the reset button on the HPWC.

Thanks!
If it is tripping after you have been charging for a while, I'd suspect the breaker.
Is the area where the breaker panel is located warmer lately? Any new other loads added to the panel? Other remote possibility is that your utility feed used to be higher voltage, so the actual current draw was lower.

Have you tried a lower charge current?

I agree with checking the screws. The higher amperage you charge at, and you charge high, the bigger the temperature swings which can slowly loosen screw lugs. tighten the lugs inside the charger and at the breaker, and any joints in between. If you don't actually need to charge at 72 amps all the time set your car to charge at 60 amps or something and only increase it when needed.

I agree with checking the screws. The higher amperage you charge at, and you charge high, the bigger the temperature swings which can slowly loosen screw lugs. tighten the lugs inside the charger and at the breaker, and any joints in between. If you don't actually need to charge at 72 amps all the time set your car to charge at 60 amps or something and only increase it when needed.
uh, yes, but I wonder if that is actually going to cause the breaker to trip. As with others, I would also suggest lowering the charge current to see what happens.