Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Circuit breaker tripping - how to check charging info?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sleepydoc

Aug 2, 2020
Minneapolis
I have a clipper creek charger that I got from our electric co-op. Twice in the last week the 50A circuit breaker has tripped, interrupting charging. I haven’t had any issues charging my car with the mobile connector and when I checked the app last night as it started charging it was set to charge at 40A so I suspect there’s a fault with the charger but is there any way to see charging specifics on the car beyond the generic “xx kWh added during the last charging session?”

When you say the charger is set to charge at 40A, assuming you mean that is what is supposed to be delivered to the car, then this is 8A more than what the mobile connector delivers, which is 32A. The first thing I would do is trip the breaker and ensure all the connections to outlet are tight. Also, if you are using a Leviton outlet, get rid of it! You need a Bryant or Hubble, which will run you about $80. The Levitons have a high failure rate when delivering a continuous load. BTW, is the outlet are you using a 14-50?

I have a clipper creek charger that I got from our electric co-op. Twice in the last week the 50A circuit breaker has tripped, interrupting charging. I haven’t had any issues charging my car with the mobile connector and when I checked the app last night as it started charging it was set to charge at 40A so I suspect there’s a fault with the charger but is there any way to see charging specifics on the car beyond the generic “xx kWh added during the last charging session?”
Unfortunately not. If charging is interrupted due an a fault an error will be logged. You may see a charging error notification message on the Tesla main screen when you re-enter the Tesla vehicle. If the power is interrupted as when a breaker flips the Tesla Model Y does not know the cause. The Tesla Model Y may attempt to resume charging after a time once power is restored. If the charge port light is orange this indicates that charging was interrupted and then resumed at a lower amperage level in an attempt to correct whatever caused the error, i.e. voltage drop or overheating.

What model ClipperCreek (CC) EVSE, how many years old? ClipperCreek may be able to advise you on whether you should send the EVSE to CC for service. Note: ClipperCreek is now owned by Enphase. I am not sure how this affects CC customer support and service which used to be excellent.

Store | Enphase

The 40 amps was for the hardwired clipper creek charger, not the mobile connector.

Update - I opened the junction box where the wires were connected and the insulation on the Polaris connectors was melted and charred. I think I found the problem. 😮
IMG_2426.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD and jcanoe