Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this email, does this mean I am on the reservation list? - "your application will be reviewed" is what makes me a bit confused.

"Due to the implementation of a reservation list as of March 17, 2021, there isn’t a set turnaround time at the moment. Your spot will be reserved and if more funds are made available, your application will be reviewed for a decision in the order it was completed."
The last time I got an email from them was 3/3 telling me I’m in the final decision stage. I haven’t even gotten an email telling me that I’m in the reservation list. I just assume I am on it. It’ll be nice if they actually tell me something...anything! lol

Hi. First post on here... Reading through this thread has been helpful, just wanted to add my experience. I applied for CVAP on 12/29, had been under review for a few weeks now without any communication, until today. I got an email stating that my application was declined. Message below:

"Thank you for submitting an application for the Clean Vehicle Assistance Program. We regret to inform you that we are unable to approve your eligibility for a clean vehicle grant. Currently, your application was declined because of the following reasons:

Total gross income for household was over 400% FPL. Please refer to page 12-15 of our Implementation Manual on our website (bottom of homepage under "Resources" tab) for further explanation of how household income is calculated. With Schedule C's of tax returns, we are directed to take line 7 for income.

Although we are unable to approve your application now, we encourage you to keep this program in consideration if you believe you may meet all the eligibility criteria in the future. Thank you for your time and best of luck on your clean vehicle search."

I have a regular job and my husband is self-employed, business is under my name, we file Married. Obviously, what the business makes isn't what we take home, so it's a bummer that income is used for eligibility, instead of AGI. Especially when that figure is before the deduction of 1099s we've issued to others. I'm going to read what they referred to in their Implementation Manual, but it appears my wait is over. On the one hand, I don't have to wait and wonder if I'd be missing out on a possible 5k. On the other hand, I'm missing out on 5k! lol Best of luck!

Hi. First post on here... Reading through this thread has been helpful, just wanted to add my experience. I applied for CVAP on 12/29, had been under review for a few weeks now without any communication, until today. I got an email stating that my application was declined. Message below:

"Thank you for submitting an application for the Clean Vehicle Assistance Program. We regret to inform you that we are unable to approve your eligibility for a clean vehicle grant. Currently, your application was declined because of the following reasons:

Total gross income for household was over 400% FPL. Please refer to page 12-15 of our Implementation Manual on our website (bottom of homepage under "Resources" tab) for further explanation of how household income is calculated. With Schedule C's of tax returns, we are directed to take line 7 for income.

Although we are unable to approve your application now, we encourage you to keep this program in consideration if you believe you may meet all the eligibility criteria in the future. Thank you for your time and best of luck on your clean vehicle search."

I have a regular job and my husband is self-employed, business is under my name, we file Married. Obviously, what the business makes isn't what we take home, so it's a bummer that income is used for eligibility, instead of AGI. Especially when that figure is before the deduction of 1099s we've issued to others. I'm going to read what they referred to in their Implementation Manual, but it appears my wait is over. On the one hand, I don't have to wait and wonder if I'd be missing out on a possible 5k. On the other hand, I'm missing out on 5k! lol Best of luck!
Sorry you didn’t get approve. Thank you for sharing!

Im not sure where this whole narrative that you have to make less than 50k to qualify for CVRP, the standard rebate of $2500 is at 150k for single and 300k for joint filers. Now the increased amount does start at 51k but a tipical family of 4 is 104k, the same 104k to qualify for CVAP, if you could add the 5k+4500+1500, thags 11k so the model 3 becomes a 27k car more than reasonable for a family making 100k a year
I'm sorry I'm confused, you wrote the CVRP a $2,500 rebate, but in your math, it says $4,500?

Shouldnt it be $5k + $2,500k + $1,500k = $9k? Where is the additional $2000k coming from?

I'm sorry I'm confused, you wrote the CVRP a $2,500 rebate, but in your math, it says $4,500?

Shouldnt it be $5k + $2,500k + $1,500k = $9k? Where is the additional $2000k coming from?
The standard CVRP rebate is $2500, but that amount could be up to $4500 if your income is below certain treasholds, and it depends on the family size of the person applying. Like I mention a family of 4 would qualify for the $4500 if your income is below $104k and the more dependents you have the larger the income treashold becomes.

Hello awesome people,

This is my first post here so please forgive me if I make any mistakes! Thank you all for sharing your experience regarding this CVAP as it is very helpful for people who wants to know more about this program or has just applied!

I applied on 3/16, one day before they announced the reservation list lol, so do you think I still have a shot of getting approved sometime this year? I am definitely qualified based on the income requirement and did upload my tax return document when I applied. From what I am seeing is that they are processing applications from late Dec 2020 & beginning of Jan 2021 and I am sure there are hundreds of applications before me, but I am just wondering if anybody who applied in those time frames has their application approved or not approved yet?

Hello awesome people,

This is my first post here so please forgive me if I make any mistakes! Thank you all for sharing your experience regarding this CVAP as it is very helpful for people who wants to know more about this program or has just applied!

I applied on 3/16, one day before they announced the reservation list lol, so do you think I still have a shot of getting approved sometime this year? I am definitely qualified based on the income requirement and did upload my tax return document when I applied. From what I am seeing is that they are processing applications from late Dec 2020 & beginning of Jan 2021 and I am sure there are hundreds of applications before me, but I am just wondering if anybody who applied in those time frames has their application approved or not approved yet?
I applied 12/22 and I still haven’t heard anything. Hoping I might get some news soon, but it is not looking good.

Hello awesome people,

There won’t be any movement on the reservation list until the expiration of unused grants. As stated earlier, there’s still December applicants waiting to hear on review/approval. Before they implemented the reservation list, they were working on approving December applications and reviewing January applications.

Reactions: dwong521
There won’t be any movement on the reservation list until the expiration of unused grants. As stated earlier, there’s still December applicants waiting to hear on review/approval. Before they implemented the reservation list, they were working on approving December applications and reviewing January applications.
Thank you so much for your update! Really appreciate it! It’s very unfortunate that we don’t know if or when they will get funding again! I really hope that everyone who applied in Dec get it though as there is no hope for me :-(

Hello awesome people,

The way I see it, only those applied in December and early January have the chance to get it. There will not be any fund left for anybody else

I applied 2/1/21. Today I received an email from a CVAP representative asking me to upload specific income verification related documents. My "application status" is "needs attention" and says "We reviewed your application and need additional information to finalize your application".

I hope I get the grant (but also understand that there is a reservation list in place) - I could really use it! Wanted to share this info for others in similar situations.

Reactions: dwong521
Some applicants get $2000 more for being below a certain income level.
Wow thanks! I had no idea. On the website, it wasn't that straightforward. 😲

Question: I applied 1/20 and am currently in the "final decision phase" as of March 16. I personally don't mind waiting for another couple of months, I'm in no rush. My worry is that the funding for CVRP will be gone. Does anyone have any past experience in applying for the rebate? Was it quicker and approved easier? If they run out of funding, will they also get additional funding eventually?

Trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet to lose the $5k in case there's a possibility to lose the additional rebate.

Thanks for any advice!

Question: I applied 1/20 and am currently in the "final decision phase" as of March 16. I personally don't mind waiting for another couple of months, I'm in no rush. My worry is that the funding for CVRP will be gone. Does anyone have any past experience in applying for the rebate? Was it quicker and approved easier? If they run out of funding, will they also get additional funding eventually?

Trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet to lose the $5k in case there's a possibility to lose the additional rebate.

Thanks for any advice!
Even if you bite the bullet you may have to wait a couple of months to accept delivery anyways as it's the beginning of Q2 and, historically, Tesla does CA deliveries towards the end of the quarter.

I don't have personal experience with it (yet) but if you're in SD county you should look up the preapproval program CVRP has.

Thanks for any advice!
On the CVRP website it says $2000 rebate for Tesla model 3 and Y so I thought that’s the cap even if you are qualified for the $4500? Can anyone confirm this?

I am on the same boat with you that I might just skip the $5k grant as I applied on 3/16 and who know if or when they will have new funding again. I’ve heard some people on here said that it took them about 7 months to have another round of funding last time so I might have to wait for 9-10 months, and the CRVP fund might run out by then. Decision, decision, decision... 🤔

Hi everyone,

TL;DR Applied 3/6 decided not to wait; Model Y delivery 5/5/-6/5/2021

I applied in early March for the CVAP and stumbled upon this thread a few days after. It's great to see all the updates, although the extra 5k would be nice my current car is giving up so I'm seeing this through without the grant (unless it comes becomes before delivery).

A few suggestions for those who have recently applied or will be applying, get in now and wait, call the number and ask the rep if anything is missing from your application they'll be able to tell you as they did in my case. From my call with a rep it sounds like its a 3 month process to get into a "final review" after you'll have to wait for the program to receive funds either from unused grants or the gov, so thats another few weeks? months?