Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

How often do you clean your car? I am first time owning a white colored car and it seems that dirt gets on quite quick. After washing, its only 2 days and I can already see some dirt / insect leftovers on the front of the car (frunk and bumper).

I am worried that if I clean it too much its going to do more damage than good as I cant do detailed clean every week, yet alone every 2 days.

before i had mostly gray cars and havent noticed that much dirt, while I still have same commute.

So how often do you clean it? We dont have automatic touchless carwashes here, .. Id use that if we had it.

If you apply a ceramic coating to your car, it will be a lot easier to keep clean, especially from bird bombs and bugs. You should still wash your car every 1-2 weeks. In between washes you can use a waterless wash or quick detailer along with a clean, soft microfiber towel to clean light dust, dirt, and fingerprints.

As long as you use good quality cleaning products, clean and soft microfibers, and proper techniques, you can clean your car like this on a very frequent basis and you will not scratch the paint. You are more likely to scratch the paint if dirt and debris is left on the car for weeks on end.

Damn, maybe I am unlucky. But every time I come off highway, at least now as the warmer weather starts, there's insect stuff on the front.

How often do you clean the car (exterior) ?
A trick with the insects is to spray them off with a hose as soon as you get home. You'll be surprised how effective that is. If that isn't convenient, I spray them with Citrol.

I wash it every two weeks or so, and clean the back with ONR more frequently.

I find that white is the best color for not showing the dirt.