Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleveland OH Area - A couple mins of help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am waiting on my new Dual Motor Model 3 that should be here within 2-3 months (Sep to Nov, but I'm guessing Sep). I had an electrician install the Tesla Home Charger and am getting a green light; so it appears that all is well. I'd really like to know what kind of amps/charging speed it's getting in reality to be sure that it's 100%- waiting until Sep/Oct to find out that there's a problem will be kind of hard to get him to remediate anything.

SO... anyone in the Cleveland Area (I'm in Aurora) willing to stop by and plug their car in? Happy to give a full charge (and a few beers/cocktails of your choosing) if interested; but I really just need a couple of minutes to see the charging speed.

Would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to help!

Welcome to Tesla ownership (eventually)! You will love it.

There is a FB group in the Cleveland / Akron area, https://www.facebook.com/groups/teslaownerscleveland, if you're interested in joining them and maybe someone would be able to help you with checking out your HPWC.
Thanks! I just submitted to join. I've seen it before but it looked like it was abandoned- now thinking that it was just set to everything private! Appreciate the link and invite!

Reactions: Darren S
I am waiting on my new Dual Motor Model 3 that should be here within 2-3 months (Sep to Nov, but I'm guessing Sep). I had an electrician install the Tesla Home Charger and am getting a green light; so it appears that all is well. I'd really like to know what kind of amps/charging speed it's getting in reality to be sure that it's 100%- waiting until Sep/Oct to find out that there's a problem will be kind of hard to get him to remediate anything.

SO... anyone in the Cleveland Area (I'm in Aurora) willing to stop by and plug their car in? Happy to give a full charge (and a few beers/cocktails of your choosing) if interested; but I really just need a couple of minutes to see the charging speed.

Would really appreciate it if anyone is willing to help!

I can stop by. Sent you a PM.

But here are a few things you may want to check (or ask your electrician):

1. How many amps is your circuit rated for?
  2. Which position is the deep switch in the HPWC set to? Post a picture if you can.
If you answer these questions, we will confirm that it is configured correctly. Green light is not enough!
Mine was configured incorrectly at first. The electrician had to come back and correct.

I can stop by. Sent you a PM.

But here are a few things you may want to check (or ask your electrician):

1. How many amps is your circuit rated for?
  2. Which position is the deep switch in the HPWC set to? Post a picture if you can.
If you answer these questions, we will confirm that it is configured correctly. Green light is not enough!
Mine was configured incorrectly at first. The electrician had to come back and correct.

Thanks so much for the response and offer to help! I did have 2 people offer within like 30 minutes- the Tesla community is beyond awesome! I ended up having both over to test- Darren (above) primarily because we hit it off in DM chat and wanted to meet. I am happy to report that charger works really well. It's a 60 amp circuit and we were getting 40amp to the car (31 miles per hour on the Model 3); which is fine.

Thanks so much for the response and offer to help! I did have 2 people offer within like 30 minutes- the Tesla community is beyond awesome! I ended up having both over to test- Darren (above) primarily because we hit it off in DM chat and wanted to meet. I am happy to report that charger works really well. It's a 60 amp circuit and we were getting 40amp to the car (31 miles per hour on the Model 3); which is fine.

Funny how we bonded over some Scotch while working on things for an American car. I'm glad everything worked out and was pleased to meet you and hope to see you at some car events in the future. I was just down the road at a car event that morning so I was in the neighborhood as I typically don't drive 2 hrs to test out someone's charger.

As @DriveMe indicated and I mentioned, there should be some dip switches inside the HPWC that might allow it to supply up to 48A for your Model 3. It is easy enough to check on your own but feel free to contact your Electrician who did the install. The info can be found on Page 12 of the manual. Below is the portion related to the dip switch settings. 48A is within safe limits for a 60A circuit so the HPWC could be set to 50A as the car should only draw 48A.

upload_2018-7-25_10-46-40.png

Reactions: DriveMe
It's a 60 amp circuit and we were getting 40amp to the car
It most likely means your dip switch is set incorrectly. See the picture above. On a 60 Amp circuit you should be getting 48 Amps.
The 50 Amp setting limits the current to 40 Amps.
If you change it to 60 Amp (to match the circuit rating) the current will be limited to 48 Amps.
Before you do that, please confirm with your electrician that the wiring is indeed rated for 60 Amps. If you are not certain, then keep the settings the way they are, to be on a safe side.
40 Amps is more than you need for overnight charging!

Last edited:
  • Informative
It most likely means your dip switch is set incorrectly. See the picture above. On a 60 Amp circuit you should be getting 48 Amps.
The 50 Amp setting limits the current to 40 Amps.
If you change it to 60 Amp (to match the circuit rating) the current will be limited to 48 Amps.
Before you do that, please confirm with your electrician that the wiring is indeed rated for 60 Amps. If you are not certain, then keep the settings the way they are, to be on a safe side.
40 Amps is more than you need for overnight charging!

I knew I should have circled both the 50A and 60A as options. I wasn't sure if that meant to set the dipswitch to the limit you want (50A being the next limit higher than 48A) or set it to the circuit breaker (in his case it would be 60A). Thanks for clarifying and too bad I can't edit my previous post anymore.

The Amp setting of the dip switch needs to match the circuit rating. The charger in the car will further limit the current to 80% of that configured value.

Minor clarification, the HPWC will tell the car's charger 80% of the selected breaker value and the car charger uses the reported current limit directly. Really, the HPWC never deals in breaker values, that is just the human readable/ understandable value.

• Helpful