Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicka-clicka

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Recently, when plugging in my UMC, I've been getting repeated attempts by the car to lock the plug in place. Clicka-clicka. A couple of times the pilot didn't engage and I got slow charging.

Anyone else get this? Is this a problem with the UMC connector or the car?

Look at your tab beneath the "wand" connector, there's a little trough in there that the locking tab plugs into. Make sure there's nothing caked or cracked or blocking it. If the locking pin senses it hasn't engaged into the trough it will back off.

Last edited:
Recently, when plugging in my UMC, I've been getting repeated attempts by the car to lock the plug in place. Clicka-clicka. A couple of times the pilot didn't engage and I got slow charging.

Yep. Although not as much recently. What was more distressing was when I'd plug in and nothing... the ring would stay white/pale blue and it would not lock or charge. Tesla replaced my original UMC, but the replacement starting acting up (not locking and/or the multiple clicking) fairly soon afterwards. (My cable and port were both clean as a whistle). Since about v4.4 of the software, it's been much more reliable. FWIW, the J1772 adapter and public chargers have always worked flawlessly for me.