Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking Noise Coming From Center Of Dash Sounds Like Fan But It Is A Motor This Cannot Be Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
44E61880-002C-4200-A527-7655C777E654.jpeg
I have done much research on this issue and many people say it is normal. There is no way that this sound is normal. There is a clicking fan/motor noise that is coming from the center of the dash. This noise happens constantly even with the car off. The climate control is not on. I first thought it was an MCU fan until I removed the glove compartment and found the culprit. The part constantly making the noise is the Heater Flap Motor Actuator PN d332ck8aa. Has anybody been able to fix this? Do I need to replace the part because it has a stripped gear? Again, many people say that it is normal and have the same issue in their car. I will attach a picture of the part. It sits right behind the MCU and is at the top of the picture. Any input would be appreciated!

I 100% have this same problem. Tesla Mobile came and confirmed it but could not figure out what it was.

In my case I only hear it on warm/hot days. In the winter it goes away competely. Since you are in LA you probably can't tell if its temperature related.

Please let me know what you find out. Unfortunately I too am out of warranty, although Tesla does have a record of the complaint when the warranty was still active. Maybe they will fix under goodwill.

I 100% have this same problem. Tesla Mobile came and confirmed it but could not figure out what it was.

In my case I only hear it on warm/hot days. In the winter it goes away competely. Since you are in LA you probably can't tell if its temperature related.

Please let me know what you find out. Unfortunately I too am out of warranty, although Tesla does have a record of the complaint when the warranty was still active. Maybe they will fix under goodwill.
I took out the actuator motor and opened it up. All of the gears were in good shape but the grease was lacking. I greased it up and put it back together. I have not tested it yet because I’m still waiting on the EMMC and I am having trouble getting an LTE modem and sim. Will update soon.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr
Here is a YouTube video of it. Everything seems to work ok. The sound is a lot louder because the dash is open but you get the picture. It has a mind of its own. Do I replace it? Can it be fixed?

I think that's it. It had a similar cadence, kind of random but somewhat rapid. Where is the actuator? My car is under warranty, but with service appointments that are 3+ weeks out, I am considering fixing it myself, either by regreasing or replacing the actuator - assuming this isn't a whole dash-out replacement. I have already had all the trim pieces and the dash pad out myself.

The actuator for the defroster is behind the glove box on LHD cars and inline with the center passenger vent. It's the closest to the firewall and has VG-INLET (ADS) on its side. There are three screws holding it in. A stubby screwdriver is best to remove it.

I have the same clicking sound, even when the A/C is turned off or played with the vent mode settings. The problem is I could never replicate it when i bring it to the service center, so they won't look into the problem. Anyone knows how to replicate the sound?

@Sidewayzgtjb Would you be able to re-post your video of the noise made by your Heater Flap Motor Actuator? I believe I have this exact same problem right now. My rapid tapping/flapping noise is also happening with the car off, and with climate control off. I'd like to try to get it fixed (I can't DIY) without excessive diagnostic fees. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: joeyv821