Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking/thunking noise after last update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the last update my model 3 makes these clunking and clicking sounds about every 2 minutes when plugged in. It never made them before. I recorded the two sounds it makes and edited them so its a short video. Anyone know what's going on?

After the last update my model 3 makes these clunking and clicking sounds about every 2 minutes when plugged in. It never made them before. I recorded the two sounds it makes and edited them so its a short video. Anyone know what's going on?
Mine does it too since last update. Don’t think it needed to warm up as it was 80 outside, and it was plugged in. 2019 Model 3 Long range AWD

I'm in the bay area, so it certainly wasn't cold. Mine is a 2018 Long range AWD (3.0 hardware). I scheduled a service, but mobile service wasn't available so I'm sure it will stop making the sounds when at the service location.

You can probably upload the video in the service request.
Or provide a link given it's just youtube. To me the only thing I think of that makes a "thunk" sound related to charging/electricity in the car are the HV contactors, but they shouldn't be continuously making that noise.

There was also a TSB for a thunk sound when supercharging, related to unequal air pressure in the battery, but that also sounds like something that shouldn't be continuous.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

After the last OTA update my 2018 Model-3 RWD Long Range makes the same click then whirring noise every 4 minutes a described above when plugged in and not charging. It doesn't matter how hot or cold it is, it always makes the noise every 4 minutes when plugged in and fully charged. It never did this until AFTER the last OTA update. After charging my car I now unplug it and it is quiet and goes to sleep. I took my car to the Tesla Service Center twice for this noise. Each time they said they could not hear the noises. The Service Center Manager finally said for me to record the noise and send it to her and she would have the Tesla Techs listen to it to see if the car was behaving 'normally'.

I got the following message back from her, " Our Service Technician has confirmed with the engineering team that this noise is indeed know firmware issue. This is to be resolved in a future firmware update. There are currently no repairs at this time. Thank you for your patience and we hope you have a wonderful rest of of your day".

Soooo, unit the OTA fix comes just charge your car and then uplug it. Your car will be quiet and sleep like a baby once again!